Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What'd I miss?

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    Seems a lot has changed in the last year. Directory says only 7 users and Evo are online. I remember there being more than that online at any given time. Here it is a weekend afternoon too. Has the closing of the TKT and Stupid Question threads chased out all the regulars? Where'd everyone go?

I missed my chance to congratulate Yomamma on killing the TKT thread. Congrats Yomamma. I had a pretty good intuition that you would recieve that honor.

Sorry for being gone so long. It seems to be a pattern in my life that I take the time to get to know and trust some really great people and then I disappear. I still haven't figured out why I do that, but for anyone who cares, you should know that it isn't because I have forgotten.

I hope all is well in PF land

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2
    Wolrams new bike

4. Apr 14, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

PADDLEFOOT!!!!

You're back!!!

I was beginning to think you were gone forever. Are you going to be able to be online for awhile?

5. Apr 14, 2007 #4
    Gollum,

I can be here all day. Did I miss that much? I may need some sweet fishies to gnaw on or perhaps a juicy rabbit if that's the case.

Gollum

6. Apr 14, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Now who's the Gollum? :confused: :biggrin:

7. Apr 14, 2007 #6

Evo

radou is new to GD and fits right in. Moonbear, MIH, Danger should be along shortly. Franz pops in now and then. Brewnog is here. Was zooby missing when you were here?

8. Apr 14, 2007 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

Welcome back!

9. Apr 14, 2007 #8
    My PF withdrawal created false memories. While the PF community may not have seen me about, I have been speaking to all of you in my own imaginary PF from the moment I left. That's what the man in the television told me anyway when I met him in the park and he showed me the time machine. I've felt much better since that time, but have developed a habit of speaking to myself, even when asked a question by another. Everything in my world turns internally. I'm trying to be polite and include everyone else in it.

So you see, for me it is safe to speak through the voice of a fictional character that also often speaks to himself, Gollum. In this case the analogy is multiply appropriate because I too have wide feetses that make flapping sounds when I walk. Fishes are nice too.

That should clear up any confusion.

10. Apr 14, 2007 #9
    I'll be glad to see all my old friends. Zooby was here last I knew. HAs he gone missing too? Is he in mourning over the Stupid Quetion Thread? I know I was a bit upset by that harsh news.

Hi radou. Nice to meet you.
    Hello again Lisa. HEY GIRL!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  11. Apr 14, 2007 #10

Evo

Zooby's still here, have you seen his artwork?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  12. Apr 14, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Hey, Huck. Good to see you're still alive and well. :approve:

Zoob has done a wonderful portrait of MIH!

We did have some sad news recently that selfAdjoint, one of our mentors, had died last December while on vacation with family. Then we learned of BoulderHead's death. Rather sad period that was.

13. Apr 14, 2007 #12
    That is a beautiful picture. Just kinda jumps right out at ya. Very lifelike. I'm a bit curious what he was doing with the hair on the sides. It feels different from the rest of the picture. Zoob is a talented guy.

I read about SelfAdjoint. That is sad news. I didn't know him very well myself, but like Danger said, you miss someone when they aren't in your surroundings anymore. I hadn't heard about BoulderHead though.

I read about Danger's loss too. It has been a hard year for a lot of good people.

Hey AStronuc, good to see you. I seem to remember posting to a comment of yours a few months ago. Something about a traditional samurai haircut being ideal for wearing underneath ones motorcycle helmet. I'm guessing you, wisely, didn't take my advice. Your photo still looks the same and how could someone not show off a traditional samurai haircut?

14. Apr 14, 2007 #13
    Welcome back!

15. Apr 15, 2007 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Huck, welcome back. PM's on its way.

16. Apr 15, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, welcome back. I haven't been on as much the past few weeks as I usually am...sort of swamped with work and life stuff at the moment. I have a LOT to get done before July so I can properly enjoy the PF gathering in Chicago without being distracted by work stuff, and getting called in for jury duty every time I have what looks like a day free of teaching or meetings to get things accomplished is not helping (why, oh why can't they call me in on the days I have boring meetings I don't want to attend? :cry:). Of course that gets more frustrating since they never actually put a scientist on a jury anyway, so I have to sit around answering all their questions, and then they don't choose me anyway (we wouldn't want a justice system that involved someone actually being able to understand the facts in a case, that might interfere with the lawyers' ability to distort the facts and win their case :rolleyes:). They should just have a checkbox under the list of valid reasons to be excused from jury duty if you're a scientist.

17. Apr 15, 2007 #16
    Hi Danger, Hi mattmns. Thanks for the warm welcome.

18. Apr 15, 2007 #17
    Hi Moony.

You know, you could just send the courts a list of all the PF members so you could all be permabanned from jury duty.

I got a summons for jury duty only once. It was odd because I had just come home from terminal leave from the navy and the letter had arrived at my parents house in MAssachussetts. I don't understand why they would send it there because I had a Virginia driver's liscence and enlisted, and was paying taxes to, the state of Arizona. Anyway, I didn't want to go because I was about to embark on my first solo cross country road trip and was only stopping by to see the folks. So I returned the summons with and explanation that I was on active duty, which technically was true. My active duty date expired at the end of my 2 month terminal leave.

Seems like you have been staying busy. I'm sure it can be tiresome at times, but it's a good thing. It's good to see you again.

19. Apr 15, 2007 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, you could've just told them you were an AZ resident if the summons was sent to your parents in MA. Sometimes they're just slow updating the records. But, whatever works. The one I'm on now is for the county, so everyone has to be a county resident. I think sometimes students get called up who aren't officially residents of this county, so they get excused for that.

Yes, at least being busy means being gainfully employed. There's always something to be said for that.

So, are you still up in the Pacific Northwest somewhere? I know you were headed for OR, but don't know if that's were you finally landed.

20. Apr 15, 2007 #19
    Yup, I'm right outside Beaverton OR. Got a job bonding wires on hybrid semiconductors. It was interesting for a few months, but has already gotten to the point of minutia. I haven't furnished my aprament completely yet. I'm not sure that I care to. I got a bed and a desk and a dresser the first week I moved in. I picked up a couch from someone that was moving out and wanted to throw it away. I got the cooking stuff I know how to use, which isn't much. I brought a little portable television with me and recently bought a dvd/vcr player for it. We have an unofficial movie/cd exchange program at work. That's about all I have a need for.

My best friend of over 20 years lives just a few miles away, but I don't see him very much. I work my prefered graveyard shift and he is married with 2 young children. It doesn't leave a lot of time to hang out and I find that I don't really know how how to hang out with a guy that's married. So I've been spending most of my time alone and I'm pretty bored and lonely and unmotivated.

Oh, and still smoking. :frown:

21. Apr 15, 2007 #20

Astronuc

Time to write a best-selling novel. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?