What's Behind the Doors? Exploring the Probability Dilemma in the Game of Chance

In summary, a game of doors is presented where the player must choose between three doors, with only one containing the proof of the unified theory. After choosing door A and discovering that door C contains nothing, the anchor offers the option to change to door B. The player debates whether to change based on probability and seeks advice from others. Ultimately, the philosophical aspect of not knowing if the anchor knows leads to the conclusion that the player should always change their choice.
tanujkush
Welcome to the game of doors!

Anchor: Alright then, you have three doors in front of you, A, B, C. Two of these three contain nothing, one contains the proof of the unified theory yet unknown to man :biggrin:. You can choose anyone door, which one do you choose?

You: Uhmmm.. I think I'll go with door A

Anchor: Are you sure?

You: Yeah!

Anchor: (opening door C) Well well, there is nothing behind door C! Arent you glad you didnt choose that door?

You: (wiping the sweat off) Yeah! Now show me what's behind door A.

Anchor: Wait a minute, what if I made you an offer. Would you like to change your door? Would you like to choose door B instead?

You: (Damn, I should have paid attention to those undergrad probability lessons!) Uhmmm.. I don't know... I think I will go with what probability tells me. Let's ask the folks over at Physics Forums what they think? Should I change doors or stick?

Physics news on Phys.org

Change.

(CompuChip wonders why this puzzle has been around since like 1000 AD and nobody got to see the proof yet).

CompuChip said:
Change.

(CompuChip wonders why this puzzle has been around since like 1000 AD and nobody got to see the proof yet).

there is a proper closed form proof for this really.

Ch-ch-changes
Just going to have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

Last edited:

tanujkush said:
there is a proper closed form proof for this really.

Then you should publish it and get famous.

(I was talking about the Riemann hypothesis of course, the proof of why changing the doors increases your odds of winning to 2/3 can be written out on a single line).

CompuChip said:
(I was talking about the Riemann hypothesis of course, the proof of why changing the doors increases your odds of winning to 2/3 can be written out on a single line).

I of course, was talking about the second part of your quote.

tanujkush said:
Anchor: Wait a minute, what if I made you an offer. Would you like to change your door? Would you like to choose door B instead?

It depends.
Does the Anchor know the doors a priori?
If he doesn't know what is behind each door, then changing from door A to door B makes no difference.

I remember, about 20 years ago, seeing this problem as an exercise in chapter 1 of an introductory probability text.

This problem still stumps me somewhat, philosophically speaking. Suppose the anchor did not know a priori, but I didn't know that she didn't know. Shouldn't I still change?

Put differently: suppose I don't know with certainty whether she knew. If she knew, then I better change. If she didn't, then (by the logic presented somewhere along the thread) it's all random and I'll be no worse off if I changed. On the net, I should change.

Since I can never know with certainty that she didn't know, I should change every single time I am in this position.

Last edited:

Related to What's Behind the Doors? Exploring the Probability Dilemma in the Game of Chance

1. What is "Welcome to the game of doors"?

"Welcome to the game of doors" is a virtual escape room game that challenges players to use their problem-solving and critical thinking skills to escape a series of rooms.

2. How do you play "Welcome to the game of doors"?

To play "Welcome to the game of doors", players must use their mouse or keyboard to interact with objects in the virtual rooms, solve puzzles, and find clues to progress to the next level.

3. Is "Welcome to the game of doors" suitable for all ages?

Although "Welcome to the game of doors" does not contain any explicit content, it is recommended for players ages 10 and up due to the level of difficulty and complexity of the puzzles.

4. How many levels are there in "Welcome to the game of doors"?

There are a total of 10 levels in "Welcome to the game of doors", each increasing in difficulty as the player progresses through the game.

5. Is "Welcome to the game of doors" available on all devices?

Currently, "Welcome to the game of doors" is only available to play on desktop and laptop computers with internet access. It is not currently available on mobile devices.