Rock Throwing: Exploring Energy Transfer

• Thread starter Biologik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of kinetic energy from one object to another, specifically in the context of throwing a rock. The process involves the transfer of energy through atoms and results in the receiving object gaining the kinetic energy and accelerating. This transfer of energy is also described in the Wikipedia entry on kinetic energy, which explains that it is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion. Examples and the role of biological energy in this process are also mentioned.
Biologik
You throw a rock. What is happening to that rock, and how is the energy transferred?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think, just to get the discussion started?

jtbell said:
What do you think, just to get the discussion started?
Well I think the kinetic energy from your hand is transferred from the atoms in your hand to the atoms in the rock and thereby accelerating it.

Not a stupid question.

When you throw a rock, the kinetic energy from your hand is transferred from your hand to the rock thereby accelerating the rock correct? This is what I think, correct me if I am wrong.

Two threads started by the OP on the same topic have been merged.

Zz.

Transfer of Kinetic energy.

1.I am in 8th grade
2. I am 13 years old
3. Don't answer like I'm a physicist
4.Don't answer like I'm a retard
5.Do answer like I'm in High school.

Here is the question:

Kinetic energy is transferred from one object to another by transferring the energy through the atoms of the object sending the kinetic energy right? Once the energy is transferred from the sending object, the energy that the sending object had, now the receiving object has correct? So if it was pushing forward, now the object moves forward.

If this is grounds for a warning I really don't know what else to do.

ZapperZ said:
Two threads started by the OP on the same topic have been merged.

Zz.

No one is going to reply. That's why I made a new one.

When you throw a rock, the kinetic energy from your hand is transferred from your hand to the rock thereby accelerating the rock correct?

Sounds good!

Here is how wikipedia describes it, and does a good job:

The kinetic energy of an object is the energy which it possesses due to its motion.[1] It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity. Having gained this energy during its acceleration, the body maintains this kinetic energy unless its speed changes. Negative work of the same magnitude would be required to return the body to a state of rest from that velocity.

See EXAMPLES for some specific applications. In your example, the hand get's it's energy from muscles burning up calories to move the arm, hand, ball and also the brain to coordinate the activity...and so "biological" energy is converted to kinetic energy.

1. What is rock throwing and how does it relate to energy transfer?

Rock throwing is a scientific experiment that involves throwing rocks of different sizes and weights to observe and measure the transfer of energy from the person throwing the rock to the object being hit. This experiment helps to understand the concept of energy transfer and how it applies to everyday situations.

2. What materials are needed to conduct a rock throwing experiment?

To conduct a rock throwing experiment, you will need rocks of different sizes and weights, a measuring tape, a scale, and a safe outdoor space to conduct the experiment. Optional materials may include protective gear such as goggles and gloves.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy transferred in a rock throwing experiment?

The amount of energy transferred in a rock throwing experiment is affected by various factors such as the size and weight of the rock, the force of the throw, the angle of the throw, and the distance the rock travels before hitting the target. Other factors may include the texture and shape of the rock, as well as environmental factors such as wind and gravity.

4. How can the results of a rock throwing experiment be used in real-life applications?

The results of a rock throwing experiment can be applied to real-life situations, such as sports and construction. Understanding the concept of energy transfer can help athletes improve their throwing skills, and engineers can use this knowledge to design structures that can withstand the impact of objects being thrown at them.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting a rock throwing experiment?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when conducting a rock throwing experiment. It is important to wear protective gear, choose a safe outdoor space with no people or objects in the way, and use caution when throwing rocks. It is also recommended to have adult supervision, especially when conducting the experiment with children.