What's the equivalent resistance of this circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem on a physics exam where the switch was closed to charge a capacitor in a circuit with resistors that cannot be simplified into series or parallel configurations. The time constant of the charging process is needed, but unable to be found due to the unknown equivalent resistance. Solving the problem would require using differential equations and Kirchhoff's current law. The possibility of finding a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is also mentioned.
lillybeans
This was on my physics exam today and I couldn't solve it. Switch (two red dots) was originally open, and when it was open, the capacitor is uncharged. Then the switch was closed, and they asked me to find the time constant of the charging process.

I couldn't find the time constant because I couldn't find the Req. I can not reduce this circuit any further into a simple series/parallel resistors configuration. Clearly they are neither in parallel or series with each other. So in this case, how can I calculate the time constant if Req cannot be found (the resistors are neither in parallel or in series)? Do you need differential equations to solve this? Because we haven't learned anything about that in class. (but still teach me please)

P.S. Time constant=RC

34parft.jpg

Thanks...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this goes a bit above and beyond what you were taught, but maybe that's what the exam was asking of you. If it was asking too much, then I'm sure very few got this right. You need to look at the current going through the circuit.

Look at the current going into the junction in the top middle between all the resistors (call it 2)
(V-V2)/R1-V2/R2 +(Vc-V2)/R3=0
using the constraint imposed by the junction in the top right
(V2-Vc)/R3-CdVc/dt = 0

So yeah, the way I'd solve the problem to get the time constant would be with differential equations and Kirchoff's current law (currents into a node must be zero). You could potentially use thevenin resistance or superposition, but I think KCL is the most straightforward.

lillybeans said:
This was on my physics exam today and I couldn't solve it. Switch (two red dots) was originally open, and when it was open, the capacitor is uncharged. Then the switch was closed, and they asked me to find the time constant of the charging process.

I couldn't find the time constant because I couldn't find the Req. I can not reduce this circuit any further into a simple series/parallel resistors configuration. Clearly they are neither in parallel or series with each other. So in this case, how can I calculate the time constant if Req cannot be found (the resistors are neither in parallel or in series)? Do you need differential equations to solve this? Because we haven't learned anything about that in class. (but still teach me please)

P.S. Time constant=RC

34parft.jpg

Thanks...

The way to find the time constant for the network is to "suppress" the sources, which in this case involves replacing the voltage source with a short circuit (piece of wire) and then find the resulting equivalent resistance looking into the network from where the capacitor connects:

attachment.php?attachmentid=46456&stc=1&d=1334979804.gif

You should be able to see opportunities for simplification of the resistors. The resulting equivalent resistance will be the 'R' in the time constant.

Note that the above is part of the precess involved in finding what is called a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit for a given network.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 658

1. What is the concept of equivalent resistance?

The concept of equivalent resistance is used to simplify a complex circuit into a single resistor that has the same effect on the flow of current as the original circuit. It is a useful tool in circuit analysis and can help to determine the overall behavior of a circuit.

2. How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. This can be calculated by simply adding all the resistances together. The formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a series circuit is: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn.

3. How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is calculated differently. The formula is: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This means that the equivalent resistance is always less than the smallest individual resistance in the circuit.

4. What is the importance of knowing the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

Knowing the equivalent resistance of a circuit allows us to understand the overall behavior of the circuit. It helps us to determine the amount of current flowing through the circuit, the voltage drop across each component, and the power dissipated by each component. It also allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single resistor, making circuit analysis easier.

5. How does the arrangement of resistors affect the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

The arrangement of resistors in a circuit can greatly affect the equivalent resistance. In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance increases as more resistors are added, while in a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance decreases. This is because in a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is lower due to the multiple paths for current to flow.