What's the meaning of this symbol?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Asuralm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 68K views
Asuralm
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Dear All:

What's the meaning of a equal sign with a triangle over it please?

Thanks in advance
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I will confess that I did not recognize that immediately but according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_mathematical_symbols
(down near the bottom of the page) it means "is defined as" or "is equal by definition".
After seeing that definition, my reaction was, "Oh, yes, of course, I've seen that before".
Different authors use different symbols for that.
 
Dear All

what is the meaning of these symbols =,<>,!=,>,<,!<,<=,!>
 
= means "is equal to"
> means "is greater than"
< means "is less than"
<> means "is either less than or greater than" or simply "is not equal to"

! is a commonly used to mean "not"
!= means "is not equal to"
!> means "is not greater than"
!< means "is not less than"