What's the nature of a force acting on this gas? (Thermo)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Raynor49
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A gas in equilibrium has distribution function:
f(p,r) = C0*(1+y*x)(2*pi*m*k*T)-3/2*exp(-p2/(2*m*k*T))
where x is the distance along an axis with fixed origin, and y is a constant.
What's the nature of the force acting on this gas?

Homework Equations


Maxwell bolztmann distribution for the momentum vector:

f(p) = (2*pi*m*k*T)-3/2*exp(-p2/(2*m*k*T))

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm honestly not even sure what this question is asking. What does it mean by the "nature" of the force acting on the gas? I had initially thought this question was asking for like a qualitative description of what type of force could be acting on the gas, but I have the solution to this problem which goes:

There is an effective temperature-dependent potential U(x) given through exp(-U/(k*T) ) = C0*(1+y*x)

and I fail to see how that explains the nature of the force acting on the gas, so I think I must be not understanding what this question is looking for. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should check your immediate coursework for clues ... the detail suggests they want a mathematical description of the force field that produces such a distribution as a starting point. After that, how you are supposed to describe the "nature" of the force should become apparent. i.e. is it an inverse-square force? Then it would be exerted by a point or spherical source. It may be conservative or non-conservative ... all sorts of ways.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Raynor49