1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the nature of a force acting on this gas? (Thermo)

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gas in equilibrium has distribution function:
    f(p,r) = C0*(1+y*x)(2*pi*m*k*T)-3/2*exp(-p2/(2*m*k*T))
    where x is the distance along an axis with fixed origin, and y is a constant.
    What's the nature of the force acting on this gas?
    2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell bolztmann distribution for the momentum vector:

f(p) = (2*pi*m*k*T)-3/2*exp(-p2/(2*m*k*T))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm honestly not even sure what this question is asking. What does it mean by the "nature" of the force acting on the gas? I had initially thought this question was asking for like a qualitative description of what type of force could be acting on the gas, but I have the solution to this problem which goes:

There is an effective temperature-dependent potential U(x) given through exp(-U/(k*T) ) = C0*(1+y*x)

and I fail to see how that explains the nature of the force acting on the gas, so I think I must be not understanding what this question is looking for. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You should check your immediate coursework for clues ... the detail suggests they want a mathematical description of the force field that produces such a distribution as a starting point. After that, how you are supposed to describe the "nature" of the force should become apparent. i.e. is it an inverse-square force? Then it would be exerted by a point or spherical source. It may be conservative or non-conservative ... all sorts of ways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted