What's the relationship between drop height and induced emf?

In summary, FlyJanasic was trying to find out how the change in the bar magnet drop height from solenoid affected the emf induced in the solenoid, but was unsuccessful. He thought of Biot-Savart law, but does not think it is applicable because the law requires a current element, not a magnet. He is seeking help from others but is becoming more confused.
FlyJanasic
In my experiment, I intended to find out how the change in the bar magnet drop height from solenoid affected the emf induced in the solenoid, however, I am unable to come up with an equation that shows a relationship between the two variables.

I have thought of Biot-Savart law, but I do not think it is applicable since the law requires a current element, not a magnet.

Please do help me out as I am really scared and overstressing. I have seeked help and only made me more confused, so any help will be beneficial. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in the classical physics forum, unless you're looking for a supersymmetric solution :P

A mod will probably move it there.

A bit more background would help, though.

Hello FlyJanasic, :welcome:

Getting all stressed while discovering the world is not a good idea: it hinders your imagination :smile: .

Magnitude of emf induced in a solenoid has to do with which law ? Biot-savart ? Or perhaps some other one, like Faraday's !?

Thread closed for Moderation...

FlyJanasic said:
In my experiment, I intended to find out how the change in the bar magnet drop height from solenoid affected the emf induced in the solenoid, however, I am unable to come up with an equation that shows a relationship between the two variables.

I have thought of Biot-Savart law, but I do not think it is applicable since the law requires a current element, not a magnet.

Please do help me out as I am really scared and overstressing. I have seeked help and only made me more confused, so any help will be beneficial. Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

This looks like lab work for school, right? If so, please re-post in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics or Engineering forum, and fill out the Homework Help Template you are provided there. This includes sections on the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution.

If it us just a personal experiment as you try to learn more about induction, please re-post in the Classical Physics forum, and as others have asked, please show much more of your work. A diagram of your setup would also be helpful.

Thank you. This thread here will remain closed.

1. What is drop height?

Drop height is the distance between the starting point of an object and the point where it is released or dropped.

2. What is induced emf?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage produced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

3. How does drop height affect induced emf?

The higher the drop height, the greater the change in magnetic field and the stronger the induced emf.

4. Is there a direct relationship between drop height and induced emf?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between drop height and induced emf. As one increases, the other also increases.

5. Is the relationship between drop height and induced emf linear?

No, the relationship between drop height and induced emf is not always linear. It may follow a curve depending on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field and the material of the conductor.