Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What's the relationship between drop height and induced emf?

1. Nov 19, 2017 #1
    In my experiment, I intended to find out how the change in the bar magnet drop height from solenoid affected the emf induced in the solenoid, however, I am unable to come up with an equation that shows a relationship between the two variables.

I have thought of Biot-Savart law, but I do not think it is applicable since the law requires a current element, not a magnet.

Please do help me out as I am really scared and overstressing. I have seeked help and only made me more confused, so any help will be beneficial. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2017 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

This should be in the classical physics forum, unless you're looking for a supersymmetric solution :P

A mod will probably move it there.

A bit more background would help, though.

4. Nov 19, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello FlyJanasic, :welcome:

Getting all stressed while discovering the world is not a good idea: it hinders your imagination :smile: .

Magnitude of emf induced in a solenoid has to do with which law ? Biot-savart ? Or perhaps some other one, like Faraday's !?

5. Nov 19, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

6. Nov 19, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

This looks like lab work for school, right? If so, please re-post in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics or Engineering forum, and fill out the Homework Help Template you are provided there. This includes sections on the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution.

If it us just a personal experiment as you try to learn more about induction, please re-post in the Classical Physics forum, and as others have asked, please show much more of your work. A diagram of your setup would also be helpful.

Thank you. This thread here will remain closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook