1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the relationship between the amplitude and the Sound power level?

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    Okay, so I have a sound wave (a visual representation). From this I can see the amplitude of the wave, However, I need to know what the sound power or the sound pressure level. Could someone please give me a formula that could help?
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are asking something quite complex and your terms suggest you are not clear about what is going on.

A sound wave is usually thought of as pressure variations in some fluid like air - though it can also be vibrations in a solid. So the wave itself is the pressure level - though you may have a description of it in terms of longitudinal displacements, in which case you need to translate the displacements into pressure.

A single note would give you a sinusoid with a constant amplitude. The magnitude of the wave may vary with position and with time for a fixed position.

The wave can also be represented in terms of energy - the parts where the medium is moving most has the most kinetic energy for example.

So before you start, you need to know what it is that is being measured.
    A microphone, for example, measures changes in air pressure.

Possibly what you are looking for is something like this:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=544248

4. Dec 28, 2011 #3
    You're right, I had no idea what I was talking about.
    Thanks for the info, that really cleared things up. That link wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I understand it all now. I guess all I needed was some sleep. Thanks a bunch anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook