What's the simplest ballast to maintain 25mA-rms @ 98Vrms?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary, the power switch in the circuit needs to have a 25mA-rms throughput in order to stay on, but a 0.68 uF capacitor would work as a reactive load to help conserve power.
KingNothing
I have a circuit containing ACST6-7S AC switch. That power switch is used to put out 98Vrms, which drives another circuit (Circuit B). The problem is, the power switch needs to have 25mA-rms throughput in order to stay 'turned on'.

The simplest solution is to just put a ~4k resistor in parallel with circuit B. However, this solution is not optimum because it will always be dissipating an extra ~3W of heat.

What I'd really like is something which only draws extra current as needed. Circuit B will at times draw well over an amp. Another limitation is size - the solution, when manufactured, would have to fit in the palm of one's hand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Would there be any way to use a voltage regulator that has a internal thermal overload?

You could do it inductively. Not sure what your power source is and why it is important to not dissipate the 2.5 watts. Are you just trying to keep power consumption down to be 'green'? Or is there battery life compromised here? Would like to know a bit more.

I calculated that a 0.68 uF capacitor would have about the right reactance at 60 Hz, but I don't know if the AC switch would appreciate a reactive load like that.

In a device that usually uses about 100 watts, 3 watts of standby power doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited:
I want to keep power dissipation to a minimum because the application is very heat-sensitive. I did try a reactive load of 1.1uF...the AC Switch didn't blow up, and didn't get too hot, but the LEDs would be on for about one second, then off for about one second, and repeat this cycle.

Not sure I understand.

The AC switch is controlling power to the circuit B, but when the AC switch is turned off you still want current to flow through it, but you don't want this current to flow normally?

And if you put a capacitor in parallel with Circuit B, some LEDs flash? Which LEDs would these be?

Maybe you could explain a bit more or put up a circuit.

1. What is a ballast?

A ballast is a device used to control the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It regulates the amount of current that passes through a light bulb or other electrical appliance.

2. Why is it important to maintain 25mA-rms @ 98Vrms?

Maintaining a specific amount of current and voltage is crucial for safety and efficiency in electrical systems. 25mA-rms @ 98Vrms is a commonly used standard for ballast maintenance in order to prevent electrical shocks and ensure optimal performance of the circuit.

3. What factors affect the simplicity of maintaining 25mA-rms @ 98Vrms?

The simplicity of maintaining 25mA-rms @ 98Vrms can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the ballast, the voltage and current supply, and the condition of the electrical system.

4. What are some examples of simple ballasts?

Some examples of simple ballasts include electronic ballasts, which use electronic components to regulate the current and voltage, and magnetic ballasts, which use a magnetic core to control the flow of electricity.

5. How can I ensure that my ballast is maintaining 25mA-rms @ 98Vrms?

The best way to ensure that your ballast is maintaining 25mA-rms @ 98Vrms is to regularly test and inspect it. You can use a multimeter to measure the current and voltage, and also visually inspect the ballast for any signs of damage or malfunction.