What’s wrong in the head of Corporal Morlock and the others in the 'Kill Team'?

• News
  • Thread starter DevilsAvocado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the US Army has apologized for the horrific photos of soldiers from Afghanistan committing murders. Twelve soldiers are scheduled to go on trial soon, and it is expected that they will be found guilty.
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
This makes me XXL
The 'Kill Team' Images - SPIEGEL ONLINE

US Army Apologizes for Horrific Photos from Afghanistan

The SPIEGEL story printed on Monday includes new details about a series of murders of innocent Afghans committed by a group of US soldiers. One of the accused, Corporal Jeremy Morlock, 22, confessed to the murders three months ago. Morlock is scheduled to face a general court-martial on Thursday. In total, 12 US soldiers who were allegedly part of what has been described as a "kill team" in Afghanistan are expected to go on trial soon.
*** Warning! Horrific Photos! ***
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,752310,00.html

[PLAIN]http://www.bakersfieldalternative.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/StrykerSoldiersKillSquad.jpg
Andrew Holmes, Michael Wagnon, Jeremy Morlock and Adam Winfield

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are always people in any group that will commit atrocities given the chance, there is simply no perfect way to prevent it. In addition, trauma is a bugger, and when you add that to a sociopathic leader... you have group agression.

this could get ugly, coming right on the heels of the purchase of Davis' freedom, and the predator strikes in N.Waziristan that also took out a bunch of civilians. makes me wonder how much of it is being done on purpose.

Proton Soup said:
this could get ugly, coming right on the heels of the purchase of Davis' freedom, and the predator strikes in N.Waziristan that also took out a bunch of civilians. makes me wonder how much of it is being done on purpose.

I wish I had so much faith in our government that this could be coordinated. Really, I think this is simple: strike while everything else is going to hell, the media can only cover so much.

Why does anybody find this stuff surprising? Distateful, yes. Surprising, no.

There is nothing new here. Remember the Duke of Wellington's comment after inspecting his troops before the battle of Waterloo: "I don't know if they will frighten the enemy, but they sure as hell frighten me".

Its hard to tell, which humans will loose their sense of humanity, during times of war. But it happens across the board, no single race of people is worse, or better then another.

It is interesting and most telling how the media and public respond to their crimes. Since our forces are held to a higher standard, holding the perpetrators responsible only exemplifies our role in bringing order to a chaotic region where this kind of behavior is the norm for the Taliban. The U.S. Army seniors issued apologies, as is necessary and important to our goals. While we'd never see any such apologies from Mullah Mohammed Omar for his soldiers' atrocities, the world expects, and will see, justice for these crimes. Yet the pessimist in me doubts our example will matter much to the Afghans in the end.

1. What caused Corporal Morlock and the others in the 'Kill Team' to act in such a violent manner?

There are likely multiple factors that led to the actions of Corporal Morlock and the other members of the 'Kill Team'. It could be a combination of individual psychological issues, a toxic group dynamic, and cultural factors within the military that promote aggression and dehumanization of the enemy.

2. Is there a specific mental illness that can explain their behavior?

It is not possible to diagnose a specific mental illness without evaluating each individual member of the 'Kill Team'. However, it is likely that they may have exhibited symptoms of sociopathy or psychopathy, which can involve a lack of empathy and disregard for the well-being of others.

3. How could the military have prevented this type of behavior?

Preventing this type of behavior would require a multi-faceted approach. This could include better screening and mental health evaluations for soldiers, training on ethical decision-making and empathy, and addressing the cultural norms within the military that may contribute to dehumanization and aggression.

4. Are there any long-term consequences for soldiers who have engaged in similar actions?

There can be significant long-term consequences for soldiers who have engaged in similar actions. This could include PTSD, guilt, and difficulty reintegrating into civilian life. They may also face legal repercussions and damage to their personal and professional reputations.

5. How can society address the issue of violence in the military?

Society can address the issue of violence in the military by holding the military accountable for their actions and advocating for changes in training and cultural norms. It is also important to provide support and resources for soldiers who may be struggling with mental health issues and trauma as a result of their experiences in the military.