When can I use Helmholtz equation for electromagnetics

In summary, the complete Maxwell wave equation for electromagnetic field can be written using the double curl operator "∇×∇×". However, this operator can only be replaced by the Laplace operator and form the helmholtz equation when the transverse condition is met, meaning that the charge density is independent of position. This is the case for homogeneous isotropic linear dielectric, but not for homogeneous linear dielectric that is anisotropic. In such cases, the electric field may have non-vanishing divergence, and the double curl operator cannot be reduced to the Laplace operator.
Jeffrey Yang
The complete Maxwell wave equation for electromagnetic field using the double curl operator "∇×∇×". Only when the transverse condition is hold, this operator can equal to the Laplace operator and form the helmholtz.

My question is what's the condition can we use the helmoltz equation instead of the double curl operator "∇×∇×" one.

If there is no charge (both the free and polarized one), then the electric field is transverse. So even in the piece-wise homogeneous system, we can still use the helmoltz equation in that medium. Is this correct? If this is true, that means once the dielectric function is abrupt changed, we can always use the helmholtz equation to solve the source free mode in one of the homogeneous region and then use the boundary condition to get the overall distribution of the system. Is this right?

So is there any other situation that we have to use the double curl operator "∇×∇×" one apart from the gradual change of the dielectric function?

Thanks a lot

Jeffrey Yang said:
The complete Maxwell wave equation for electromagnetic field using the double curl operator "∇×∇×". Only when the transverse condition is hold, this operator can equal to the Laplace operator and form the helmholtz.

My question is what's the condition can we use the helmoltz equation instead of the double curl operator "∇×∇×" one.

If there is no charge (both the free and polarized one), then the electric field is transverse. So even in the piece-wise homogeneous system, we can still use the helmoltz equation in that medium. Is this correct? If this is true, that means once the dielectric function is abrupt changed, we can always use the helmholtz equation to solve the source free mode in one of the homogeneous region and then use the boundary condition to get the overall distribution of the system. Is this right?

So is there any other situation that we have to use the double curl operator "∇×∇×" one apart from the gradual change of the dielectric function?

Thanks a lot

Since
$$
\nabla\times\nabla\times \mathbf E = \nabla\nabla\cdot \mathbf E - \Delta \mathbf E
$$
for any field ##\mathbf E##, you can replace it by ##-\Delta## if and only if ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf E = const(\mathbf x)##, i.e. charge density is independent of position.

This is the case for homogeneous isotropic linear dielectric, as can be seen in the following explanation. Because we have dielectric,
$$
\nabla\cdot \mathbf D = 0
$$

and because of isotropicity and linearity,
$$
\mathbf D = \epsilon \mathbf E
$$
where ##\epsilon## is a constant independent of position. Taking divergence of both sides, we obtain ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf E = 0##.

This conclusion is not valid for homogeneous linear dielectric that is anisotropic. For example, quartz has different dielectric constants in different directions. One can use dielectric tensor to describe linear relation between electric displacement field and electric field:

$$
\mathbf D = \mathbf \epsilon \cdot \mathbf E.
$$
Now, if we take divergence of both sides, we obtain the equation

$$
0 = \sum_i \partial_i\left(\sum_k \epsilon_{ik} E_k\right).
$$

Taking into account homogeneity of the medium, we can drop derivatives tensor components:
$$
0 = \sum_i \left(\sum_k \epsilon_{ik} \partial_i E_k\right).
$$
Since the tensor must be symmetric (I think due to laws of thermodynamics), there is a coordinate system where the tensor is diagonal and referring to this system we can write this equation as
$$
0 = \sum_i \left(\epsilon_{i} \partial_i E_i\right)
$$
where ##\epsilon_i## are the principal dielectric constants (in three perpendicular directions, main axes of the crystal). This means that, if all principal dielectric constant are the same, divergence of ##\mathbf E## vanishes, but if they differ, in general the electric field can have non-vanishing divergence.

Thus in anisotropic medium, space charge of bound nature can occur and if it is not of constant density (which may happen if EM waves propagate in the medium), ##\nabla\times\nabla\times## cannot be reduced to -laplacian.

Jano L. said:
Since
$$
\nabla\times\nabla\times \mathbf E = \nabla\nabla\cdot \mathbf E - \Delta \mathbf E
$$
for any field ##\mathbf E##, you can replace it by ##-\Delta## if and only if ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf E = const(\mathbf x)##, i.e. charge density is independent of position.

This is the case for homogeneous isotropic linear dielectric, as can be seen in the following explanation. Because we have dielectric,
$$
\nabla\cdot \mathbf D = 0
$$

and because of isotropicity and linearity,
$$
\mathbf D = \epsilon \mathbf E
$$
where ##\epsilon## is a constant independent of position. Taking divergence of both sides, we obtain ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf E = 0##.

This conclusion is not valid for homogeneous linear dielectric that is anisotropic. For example, quartz has different dielectric constants in different directions. One can use dielectric tensor to describe linear relation between electric displacement field and electric field:

$$
\mathbf D = \mathbf \epsilon \cdot \mathbf E.
$$
Now, if we take divergence of both sides, we obtain the equation

$$
0 = \sum_i \partial_i\left(\sum_k \epsilon_{ik} E_k\right).
$$

Taking into account homogeneity of the medium, we can drop derivatives tensor components:
$$
0 = \sum_i \left(\sum_k \epsilon_{ik} \partial_i E_k\right).
$$
Since the tensor must be symmetric (I think due to laws of thermodynamics), there is a coordinate system where the tensor is diagonal and referring to this system we can write this equation as
$$
0 = \sum_i \left(\epsilon_{i} \partial_i E_i\right)
$$
where ##\epsilon_i## are the principal dielectric constants (in three perpendicular directions, main axes of the crystal). This means that, if all principal dielectric constant are the same, divergence of ##\mathbf E## vanishes, but if they differ, in general the electric field can have non-vanishing divergence.

Thus in anisotropic medium, space charge of bound nature can occur and if it is not of constant density (which may happen if EM waves propagate in the medium), ##\nabla\times\nabla\times## cannot be reduced to -laplacian.

Thanks a lot

Jeffrey Yang said:
Thanks a lot
You're welcome.

1. When is Helmholtz equation applicable in electromagnetics?

The Helmholtz equation is applicable in electromagnetics when dealing with the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a homogeneous medium, such as air or vacuum. It is also commonly used for solving boundary-value problems, where the electric and magnetic fields are known on a specific boundary and need to be calculated in the interior of the medium.

2. What are the assumptions made when using Helmholtz equation in electromagnetics?

The Helmholtz equation assumes that the medium is linear, isotropic, and homogeneous. It also assumes that there are no sources or charges present in the medium.

3. Can Helmholtz equation be used for all types of electromagnetic waves?

No, Helmholtz equation is only applicable for scalar waves, such as acoustic or electromagnetic waves in a single direction. It cannot be used for vector waves, such as transverse electromagnetic waves, that have both electric and magnetic components.

4. How is Helmholtz equation derived?

The Helmholtz equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a medium. By taking the curl of the curl of the electric field equation and applying vector calculus identities, the Helmholtz equation can be obtained.

5. What are some practical applications of Helmholtz equation in electromagnetics?

Helmholtz equation is commonly used in antenna design, analyzing electromagnetic wave propagation in wireless communication systems, and solving problems in optics and acoustics. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to calculate the magnetic field distribution in the body.