When can Ordinal Variables be treated as Interval Variables?

In summary: Yes. I like the cumulative family with the logit or probit link in the brms package in R. With the probit link the latent variable is assumed to have a standard normal distribution.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Understanding when ok to treat ordinal variables treated as interval variables
Hello,

Ordinal variables (see Likert scale) can be labelled using numbers and ranked by those numbers. However, the difference between category 2 and category 3 may not be exactly be the same as the difference between category 4 and 5. That said, I noticed that in social science ordinal variables are sometimes approximately treated as if they were numerical predictors if the ordinal variable has many levels...Is that a correct approach? What justifies that? I did some reading and found a variety of opinions on the topic...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
TL;DR Summary: Understanding when ok to treat ordinal variables treated as interval variables

What justifies that?
People did it previously in published papers. Doing it currently doesn’t sink a paper.

It isn’t a great justification. As you say, there are a variety of opinions on the topic. Including ones that are supportive of the practice.

So it will continue to be done for the time being. Most reviewers are statistically unsophisticated, and ordinal methods are less familiar and often less powerful.

Likes fog37
Dale said:
People did it previously in published papers. Doing it currently doesn’t sink a paper.

It isn’t a great justification. As you say, there are a variety of opinions on the topic. Including ones that are supportive of the practice.

So it will continue to be done for the time being. Most reviewers are statistically unsophisticated, and ordinal methods are less familiar and often less powerful.
It seems to me that the issue is more serious if we treat a response/outcome variable that is ordinal as numerical and maybe less a serious issue if the ordinal variable is an independent variable and we treat it as an interval variable...

Likes Dale
fog37 said:
TL;DR Summary: Understanding when ok to treat ordinal variables treated as interval variables

Hello,

Ordinal variables (see Likert scale) can be labelled using numbers and ranked by those numbers. However, the difference between category 2 and category 3 may not be exactly be the same as the difference between category 4 and 5. That said, I noticed that in social science ordinal variables are sometimes approximately treated as if they were numerical predictors if the ordinal variable has many levels...Is that a correct approach? What justifies that? I did some reading and found a variety of opinions on the topic...

Thanks
"Is that a correct approach?"
No. The fact that something is [or has been] widely done does not make it valid.

Likes FactChecker
IMO, there should be some subject-matter logic behind the relative numerical values in order to justify that approach. In the cases you refer to, you should base your evaluation on how well they justified the scaling. There may be very good reasons for unequal spacing, but there might not be. I would hope that any assignment of unequal spacing in a peer-reviewed publication was done for some subject-matter, logical reason.

Just a point: binning continuous data can be a very bad thing to do and you're losing information: care hast to be take even in the best of situations. Imagine a data set that is actually bimodal (or multimodal): a histogram with too few bins probably won't detect it. Using income data rounded to tens of thousands can hide evidence of inflation that would be detected from the raw values.

Frank Harrell has a very good illustration of problems at the following link.

https://discourse.datamethods.org/t/categorizing-continuous-variables/3402

statdad said:
binning continuous data can be a very bad thing to do and you're losing information: care hast to be take even in the best of situations. Imagine a data set that is actually bimodal (or multimodal): a histogram with too few bins probably won't detect it.
Binning can also produce a bimodal discrete distribution where the underlying continuous distribution is not bimodal.

However, very often with psychological data you are working with latent variables so you have no choice but to do an unknown binning on the unobservable latent scale.

Dale said:
Binning can also produce a bimodal discrete distribution where the underlying continuous distribution is not bimodal.

However, very often with psychological data you are working with latent variables so you have no choice but to do an unknown binning on the unobservable latent scale.
There are methods too, for Latent variables, that assume observed data originate from a continuous,
iirc (wolg) normal variables. let me see if I can find refs.

WWGD said:
There are methods too, for Latent variables, that assume observed data originate from a continuous,
iirc (wolg) normal variables. let me see if I can find refs.
Yes. I like the cumulative family with the logit or probit link in the brms package in R. With the probit link the latent variable is assumed to have a standard normal distribution.

Likes WWGD

1. Can ordinal variables be treated as interval variables?

The answer to this question is yes, but with certain limitations. Ordinal variables can be treated as interval variables if the categories or levels have a natural ordering and the intervals between each category are equal. However, this assumption may not always hold true and can lead to incorrect conclusions.

2. When is it appropriate to treat ordinal variables as interval variables?

Ordinal variables can be treated as interval variables when the data meets the assumptions of equal intervals and a natural ordering of categories. This is typically seen in Likert scale data, where the categories have a clear order and equal spacing between them.

3. What are the potential consequences of treating ordinal variables as interval variables?

The main consequence of treating ordinal variables as interval variables is that it can lead to incorrect statistical analysis and conclusions. This is because the assumption of equal intervals may not hold true, and therefore, the results may not accurately represent the data.

4. How can I determine if my ordinal variables can be treated as interval variables?

To determine if your ordinal variables can be treated as interval variables, you can use statistical tests such as the Kruskal-Wallis test or the Spearman's rank correlation coefficient. These tests can help assess the assumption of equal intervals and the presence of a natural ordering of categories.

5. What are some alternatives to treating ordinal variables as interval variables?

If the assumption of equal intervals and a natural ordering of categories cannot be met, there are alternative statistical methods that can be used. These include non-parametric tests such as the Mann-Whitney U test or the Wilcoxon signed-rank test, or ordinal regression models that can handle the non-linearity of the data.