1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does (x+y)^4 =

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex](x+y)^4=x^4+y^4[/tex]

We know this is true if x and/or y = 0, but what other possibilities are there?

I solved for (x+y)^2=x^2+y^2, which has x=-y as a possibility.

The solution isn't necessary, a couple tips should lead me in the right direction.

I broke it down in several ways, but a hint for something to look for would be great. I happen to always be stuck with something along the line like...

STUFF+x^2y^2

I can get the stuff area to equal to zero, but because the are both odd or even numbers that are equal I am always stuff with the odd one at the end.

I lost my paper that shows what STUFF is (stupid I know), but I'll work out a second time and maybe then I'll find a solution.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Expand the LHS, and cancel off the common terms with the RHS. You have 3 remaining terms =0. Factoring out xy (stipulating that they be not zero) from these gives you a quadratic, which has no real solutions, and this, you'll figure when you get to it...

4. Nov 22, 2004 #3
    I solved for (x+y)^2=x^2+y^2, which has x=-y as a possibility.

Are u sure?
    Substitute x=-y on the LHS and then in the RHS .. are they equal?
    Simple analysis ,
    (x+y)^2 = x^2+2xy+y^2
    if (x+y)^2=x^2+y^2
    implies
    x^2+2xy+y^2 = x^2+y^2
    implies
    2xy = 0
    implies
    x or y or both = 0

A similar analysis has been outlined by Gokul in his last post for the power 4 case.

-- AI

5. Nov 22, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(x+y)4= x4+ 4x3y+6x2y2+4xy3+ y4.

Setting that equal to x4+ y4, we can cancel the x4 and y4 terms on both sides leaving

4x3y+ 6x2y2+ 4xy3= 0 or
    2xy(2x2+ 3xy+ 2y2)= 0

Clearly x= y= 0 works. It should be evident that 2x2+ 3xy+ 2y2= 0 has no real solutions so x= y= 0 is again the only solution.

6. Nov 22, 2004 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nevermind about x=-y. I was looking at the wrong solution.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook