When Do You Know It's Time to Give Up?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I sometimes get annoyed by myself when I see that I almost never lose my interest in some paricular things, goals, and therefore I never give up...It sounds like you are just making a mistake over and over again and you don't learn any lesson form your mistakes. It sounds like you are frustrated with yourself because you have the potential to do better, but you're not doing better. You need to be more patient and persistent. I mean when you can't get what you want after several attempts, maybe there's a problem with your goal. Maybe your interest in that partcular thing has no realistic and logical base and it doesn't really suit your talents, capablities and your true interests, so although you think you
Lisa!
Gold Member
Has it ever happened to you that you want something so badly but as much as you try you can't get it? I sometimes get annoyed by myself when I see that I almost never lose my interest in some paricular things, goals, and therefore I never give up...It sounds like you are just making a mistake over and over again and you don't learn any lesson form your mistakes. I mean when you can't get what you want after several attempts, maybe there's a problem with your goal. Maybe your interest in that partcular thing has no realistic and logical base and it doesn't really suit your talents, capablities and your true interests, so although you think you have done your best but the fact is that you've not tried as much as needed.
You know sometimes I think I have no real interest in science and engineering. I've been interested in intelligent people whole my life and though of them as the coolest people in the world. And heaven knows that most of intelligent person are into mathematics and physics! And perhaps that's why I decided to study math and physics related subject. And perhaps that's why I'm not so successful academicly. I sometimes think that I could have been a very successful and useful person if I had chosen to study social sciences and stuff like that.
I sometimes even think that my friend couldn't be the right person for me. Perhaps I'm just continue my relationship with him because he seems to be an intelligent person.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I heard cyrus is free

I think we have discussed motivation = desire * feasibility earlier. So if feasibility approaches zero, it may indeed be time to reconsider.

So if you're interested in intelligent people, most exact scientists don't seem to share that priority. There must be specialities within psychology, sociology or even history and philosophy to study all about the why and the how and the evolvement of people in science.

Wasn't Marlon free too?

I think Evo is free too

rewebster said:
I think Evo is free too
Evo is not "free" - she likes to travel and stuff - high maintenance.

Lisa! said:
You know sometimes I think I have no real interest in science and engineering.

I think one of the hardest things in the world is to know your interests and to figure out what sort of studies or job would be fulfilling. I suspect that at some point in your life you've certainly felt a sincere interest in science and engineering - but people's priorities and interests change. So don't be so hard on yourself.

Lisa! said:
I've been interested in intelligent people whole my life and though of them as the coolest people in the world. And heaven knows that most of intelligent person are into mathematics and physics! And perhaps that's why I decided to study math and physics related subject. And perhaps that's why I'm not so successful academicly. I sometimes think that I could have been a very successful and useful person if I had chosen to study social sciences and stuff like that.
I sometimes even think that my friend couldn't be the right person for me. Perhaps I'm just continue my relationship with him because he seems to be an intelligent person.

The company of people in physics are a big part of why I enjoy physics too. And sometimes it's easy to get discouraged because in science and engineering there are always going to lots of people who are extremely bright. It's good to remember that there is a lot more to success in life than being a star student.

I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to like someone because they *seem* to be intelligent. But I bet there are lots of other reasons you like your friend. Is he handsome? Charming? A good cook? (If he's not a good cook you should definitely dump him).

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Has it ever happened to you that you want something so badly but as much as you try you can't get it?

What do you need? How badly do you need it? What would you do to get what you need? How many 'red flags' do you see now?

I talk to a few women around where I live about their problems. I thing that I've found is that they often 'see' what the 'problems' are, but don't make changes in their lives or thinking to change what the problems seem to be. Another thing that these women (and some people, in general) do is that they sometimes ask a question, then ask the same question again, (and again, and again)--

What I try to do with them is get them to answer the question themselves--even if the first answer may be wrong---then, answer the question with another possible answer (I keep going until they REALLY start thinking about it in different ways).

So, "Has it ever happened to you that you want something so badly but as much as you try you can't get it?"-----go ahead and give several answers to your own question.

turbo-1 said:

that's funny--

-in another thread, she said that all she wanted all her whole life was just a chicken and a fruit tree <scratches head while having a puzzled look on my face>

Lisa! said:
Has it ever happened to you that you want something so badly but as much as you try you can't get it? I sometimes get annoyed by myself when I see that I almost never lose my interest in some particular things, goals, and therefore I never give up...It sounds like you are just making a mistake over and over again and you don't learn any lesson form your mistakes. I mean when you can't get what you want after several attempts, maybe there's a problem with your goal.

Really? I interpret it as meaning there's a problem with my method, not my goal. Try to reach your goals a different way.

Secondly, I'd much rather spend my life attempting to reach goals I will never be able to than just giving up. At least I can say I tried.

honestrosewater hasn't been around for a while, I wonder if she went to college?

Has it ever happened to you that you want something so badly but as much as you try you can't get it?
Maybe you're thinking a bit short term for your goal. Some of the best things happen over a long period of time, of years or decades. You have a whole life ahead of you, as long as you don't get hit by a bus tomorrow.

I would never stop trying to reach my goals. I don't want that kind of regret to haunt me into my later years. Time passes so very quickly, I believe choices make a big difference in our quality of life.

In my mind these choices, I often call doors. Doors open and close often by happenstance, but mostly by choice. Sometimes doors close because other doors need to open.

Remember, its all about the quality of life you choose to live, what you will become, and how you choose to affect those around you.

We're also allowed to make mistakes.:redface:

Lisa! said:
Has it ever happened to you that you want something so badly but as much as you try you can't get it? I sometimes get annoyed by myself when I see that I almost never lose my interest in some paricular things, goals, and therefore I never give up...It sounds like you are just making a mistake over and over again and you don't learn any lesson form your mistakes. I mean when you can't get what you want after several attempts, maybe there's a problem with your goal. Maybe your interest in that partcular thing has no realistic and logical base and it doesn't really suit your talents, capablities and your true interests, so although you think you have done your best but the fact is that you've not tried as much as needed.
You know sometimes I think I have no real interest in science and engineering. I've been interested in intelligent people whole my life and though of them as the coolest people in the world. And heaven knows that most of intelligent person are into mathematics and physics! And perhaps that's why I decided to study math and physics related subject. And perhaps that's why I'm not so successful academicly. I sometimes think that I could have been a very successful and useful person if I had chosen to study social sciences and stuff like that.

So this question is more about relationships, hidden in a more general theme.

I use to think I'm more suited to social science but the maths and physics were my real passion and all I needed to do was some serious work to get over the thinking that the latter wasn't for me. As for relationships, it could be that he dosen't love you enough. Or you don't enough for him. Reasons for that are too numerous to list.

turbo-1 said:

:rofl: sorry, I had too.

rewebster said:
I think I heard cyrus is free

Lisa! can't even cook, what good a woman that can't cook? Pfffft.

Cyrus said:
Lisa! can't even cook, what good a woman that can't cook? Pfffft.

well, there you go----when they're young, you train them to cook only what you like

Andre said:
Wasn't Marlon free too?

I don't think marlon would be interested in dating cyrus!:wink:

PS <respond to other posts later>o:)

Lisa! said:

Oh darn, another unattainable goal. :smile:

Lisa! said:
I don't think marlon would be interested in dating cyrus!:wink:

Are you suggesting cyrus can't cook?

Uh oh, here comes the food fight!

More apropos - the several really bright math types I've known have all been, um, socially inept, to be kind. They had trouble communicating at almost any level. Mostly because they were essentially tuned-out of everyday conversation.

BobG said:

:uhh:

(but, I hear he dresses well!)

jim mcnamara said:
Oh darn, another unattainable goal. :smile:

:rofl::approve:

BobG said:

Nope! Suppose cyrus is the greatest cook in the world, honestly would you taste what he's cooked? :uhh:You know the 1 who serves the food for you, is way more important than the cook and its taste.

jim mcnamara said:
More apropos - the several really bright math types I've known have all been, um, socially inept, to be kind. They had trouble communicating at almost any level. Mostly because they were essentially tuned-out of everyday conversation.

That's funny, because I live the exact opposite experience... The more skillful I know are mostly the most social ones.

i have a lot of goals and a lot of them get messed up i just work at them over and over to get it right

kirk101 said:
i have a lot of goals and a lot of them get messed up i just work at them over and over to get it right

start with proper spelling and good grammar

1. When is it time to give up on a scientific experiment?

The decision to give up on a scientific experiment should be based on several factors, including the amount of time and resources you have invested, the quality of the data you have collected, and the feasibility of obtaining meaningful results. It is important to consult with colleagues and mentors before making a final decision.

2. How do I know when it's time to give up on a scientific theory?

Scientific theories should only be abandoned when there is overwhelming evidence that contradicts them. This evidence should be carefully evaluated and replicated by other researchers before a theory is discarded. Additionally, new evidence may lead to the modification or refinement of a theory rather than complete abandonment.

3. Is it ever okay to give up on a scientific pursuit?

While persistence and determination are important qualities in scientific research, there are times when it may be necessary to give up on a particular pursuit. This could be due to ethical concerns, lack of funding or support, or the realization that the research is not feasible or relevant.

4. How do I handle the emotional toll of giving up on a scientific project?

Giving up on a scientific project can be emotionally challenging, especially if you have invested a lot of time and effort into it. It is important to acknowledge and process these emotions, but also remember that it is a normal part of the scientific process. Seeking support from colleagues and mentors can also be helpful in coping with these feelings.

5. Can giving up on a scientific pursuit lead to new discoveries?

While it may seem counterintuitive, giving up on a scientific pursuit can sometimes lead to new discoveries. This may happen when researchers are forced to think outside the box and explore alternative approaches or when they redirect their focus to a related but unexplored area. In fact, many scientific breakthroughs have been made as a result of giving up on a previous idea or theory.