When was Coulomb's law discovered and who invented electric field lines?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
pmb_phy
Messages
2,950
Reaction score
1
Does anyone know when Coulomb discovered his law? And does anyone know when the concept of electric field lines was invented? I know that Faraday created the idea for the magnetic field and I was wondering if it was he who applied it to the electric field or was it someone else?

Sources of information will be appreciated since I will eventually have to refer to the source of information.

Thank you

Pete
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
Does anyone know when Coulomb discovered his law? And does anyone know when the concept of electric field lines was invented? I know that Faraday created the idea for the magnetic field and I was wondering if it was he who applied it to the electric field or was it someone else?

Sources of information will be appreciated since I will eventually have to refer to the source of information.

Thank you

Pete

Well I found the Coulomb part. His experiment was published in

Charles A. de Coulomb, History Royal Acad. Sci. (France), 1785, pp. 569 and 579.

The rest I'm still searching for. Thanks.

Pete