When we say current, I, through a wire is uniform, what do we mean?

In summary, the definition of surface current density states that the current across a differential line element on the surface is given by the sum of the current flowing past that element along the surface and the current flowing across the line element.
pardesi
when we say the current through a wire is uniform and is [tex]I[/tex] what do we mean

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the circular cross-section of the wire. Now consider just the top half-circle, and the bottom half-circle.

If the current is uniformly distributed through the wire, then the current through each of these half-circles is the same: I/2.

Generally, if the current is uniformly distributed through the wire, the any two regions of the cross-section with the same area will be carrying the same current.

- Warren

and does the current is i mean the current through the cross section perpendicular to current flow

Usually, yes.

- Warren

ok two more.
how do u define surface current density
also when we say in cas eof steady current the current through the wire is i what do we mean

The answers to the question of definition can be found in any textbook. I would suggest that you look in the appendix of Griffith's--maybe under "surface current" or "current, surface"?

olgranpappy said:
The answers to the question of definition can be found in any textbook. I would suggest that you look in the appendix of Griffith's--maybe under "surface current" or "current, surface"?

i am asking u after reading from griffith :biggrin:

How does Griffith define surface current density and what, specifically, don't you understand about that definition?

Last edited:
well he says and i quote
griffith said:
consider a "ribbon" of infitesmal width [tex]dl_{p}[/tex] running parallel to current flow and let the current through this be dI then we define surface current density K as [tex]K=\frac{dI}{dl_{p}}[/tex] where [tex]dl_{p}[/tex] is taken perpendicular to current flow

well what i don't understand about this is why should we take a 'ribbon' isn't a small width enough to define .also if a take a width then the current flowing across it in general would depend on the ribbon length

pardesi said:
well what i don't understand about this is why should we take a 'ribbon' isn't a small width enough to define .also if a take a width then the current flowing across it in general would depend on the ribbon length
Surface current denslity is current per unit width of Griffith's ribbon, so
K times the width is the current.

A somewhat more mathematical definition of surface current density is
"The surface current density is defined so that the current flowing past a differential line element
[tex]{\vec dL}[/tex] on the surface is given by
[tex]
dI={\vec K}\cdot({\vec dL}\times{\vec n})[/tex],
where [tex]{\vec n}[/tex] is a unit vector normal to the surface."

but since the ribbon has length and we have taken it along the flow of current won't the current depend on length of ribbon

pardesi said:
well he says and i quote

The ribbon is introduced for visualization purposes. the surface current density is a local property and doesn't depend on any "ribbon" or "ribbon length" introduced as a pedogogical aid.

The surface currect density is a vector in the plane of the surface and in the direction of the current flow at a point. It's magnitude is proportional to the strength of the current I at the point.

If you integrate the surface current density along some line [tex]\vec \ell(s)[/tex] embedded in the surface (here my line is parametrized by the real number [tex]s[/tex]) you get the current flowing across that line:
[tex]
I_{\textrm{across line}}=\int d|\ell|\hat t\cdot \vec K
[/tex]
where [tex]\hat t[/tex] is the one of the two unit vectors perpendicular to [tex]\frac{d\vec \ell}{ds}[/tex] whose angle with [tex]\vec K[/tex] is smallest.

1. What is meant by "current" in this context?

In this context, "current" refers to the flow of electric charge through a wire. It is measured in amperes (A).

2. What does "I" represent in the equation for current?

In the equation for current (I = Q/t), "I" represents the current in amperes, "Q" represents the electric charge in coulombs, and "t" represents the time in seconds.

3. What is a uniform current?

A uniform current means that the flow of electric charge through a wire is constant and does not vary at any point along the wire. The current is the same at all points in the wire.

4. How is the uniformity of current achieved in a wire?

The uniformity of current in a wire is achieved by maintaining a constant potential difference (voltage) across the wire and ensuring that the wire has a uniform cross-sectional area. This ensures that the resistance of the wire remains constant and the current flowing through it is also constant.

5. What are the implications of a non-uniform current in a wire?

A non-uniform current in a wire can lead to fluctuations in the flow of electric charge, which can affect the performance of electrical devices and may also result in overheating or damage to the wire. It is important to ensure a uniform current to maintain the stability and efficiency of an electrical circuit.