1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When we say current, I, through a wire is uniform, what do we mean?

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    when we say the current through a wire is uniform and is [tex]I[/tex] what do we mean

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider the circular cross-section of the wire. Now consider just the top half-circle, and the bottom half-circle.

If the current is uniformly distributed through the wire, then the current through each of these half-circles is the same: I/2.

Generally, if the current is uniformly distributed through the wire, the any two regions of the cross-section with the same area will be carrying the same current.

- Warren

4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    and does the current is i mean the current through the cross section perpendicular to current flow

5. Aug 7, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually, yes.

- Warren

6. Aug 7, 2007 #5
    ok two more.
    how do u define surface current density
    also when we say in cas eof steady current the current through the wire is i what do we mean

7. Aug 7, 2007 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

The answers to the question of definition can be found in any textbook. I would suggest that you look in the appendix of Griffith's--maybe under "surface current" or "current, surface"?

8. Aug 8, 2007 #7
    i am asking u after reading from griffith :biggrin:

9. Aug 8, 2007 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How does Griffith define surface current density and what, specifically, don't you understand about that definition?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  10. Aug 8, 2007 #9
    well he says and i quote
    well what i don't understand about this is why should we take a 'ribbon' isn't a small width enough to define .also if a take a width then the current flowing across it in general would depend on the ribbon length

11. Aug 8, 2007 #10

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surface current denslity is current per unit width of Griffith's ribbon, so
    K times the width is the current.

12. Aug 8, 2007 #11

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A somewhat more mathematical definition of surface current density is
    "The surface current density is defined so that the current flowing past a differential line element
    [tex]{\vec dL}[/tex] on the surface is given by
    [tex]
    dI={\vec K}\cdot({\vec dL}\times{\vec n})[/tex],
    where [tex]{\vec n}[/tex] is a unit vector normal to the surface."

13. Aug 8, 2007 #12
    but since the ribbon has length and we have taken it along the flow of current won't the current depend on length of ribbon

14. Aug 8, 2007 #13

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

The ribbon is introduced for visualization purposes. the surface current density is a local property and doesn't depend on any "ribbon" or "ribbon length" introduced as a pedogogical aid.

The surface currect density is a vector in the plane of the surface and in the direction of the current flow at a point. It's magnitude is proportional to the strength of the current I at the point.

If you integrate the surface current density along some line [tex]\vec \ell(s)[/tex] embedded in the surface (here my line is parametrized by the real number [tex]s[/tex]) you get the current flowing across that line:
    [tex]
    I_{\textrm{across line}}=\int d|\ell|\hat t\cdot \vec K
    [/tex]
    where [tex]\hat t[/tex] is the one of the two unit vectors perpendicular to [tex]\frac{d\vec \ell}{ds}[/tex] whose angle with [tex]\vec K[/tex] is smallest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook