Where Can I Blog About Science with LaTeX Support?

In summary: It's a great platform, with a ton of plugins and themes available, and it's very easy to get started. There are lots of tutorials and instructions available online, and the support forums are very active.
Cosmophile
Hey, all. I'm looking to start a blog to keep up with my academic progress. I was wondering what medium you guys would recommend for something like this. I'd like it to have LaTeX support similar to what we have here at PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
WordPress is the 600-pound gorilla of the blogosphere. You can start for free at wordpress.com, under a name like yourname.wordpress.com, but if your resource usage exceeds some limit, you have to switch to one of their paid plans.

Or if you'd rather DIY, you can get your own domain name and buy a web-hosting plan with a single-click WordPress installation procedure from any of a bunch of web-hosting providers. For example, I use Namecheap.com for my domain registrar and web hosting. A .net or .com domain name costs about $11 per year with them, and their entry-level web-hosting plan is about $10 for the first year and $39 for succeeding years. If your blog becomes wildly successful, you'll probably have to upgrade to a more expensive hosting plan, but the entry-level one should work fine for starters. I don't use WordPress (I write all my web page code by hand), but my hosting account's control panel has a button for installing it.

You can use MathJax, the equation processor that PF uses, with WordPress. You need to call a MathJax script on your pages, either by editing your WordPress theme or by installing a plugin. Google for "mathjax and wordpress" for details.

Last edited:
Likes Cosmophile
jtbell said:
Or if you'd rather DIY, you can get your own domain name

I see someone already owns cosmophile.com, but cosmophile.net is available! Or if you want to try one of the new top-level domains that have been rolling out during the past couple of years, you could go for cosmophile.science. You'd have to pay more for it, though, about $26 per year at Namecheap.

jtbell said:
... if you'd rather DIY, you can get your own domain name and buy a web-hosting plan with a single-click ...
@Borek gave me https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-random-thoughts.338126/page-946#post-4314413 way back when. I never bought a domain name but passed on his information so my daughter could set up her site.

BTW Thanks Borek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Borek and Silicon Waffle
Yeah, I've seen the advice to use separate providers for the domain name and the web hosting, so the web-hosting provider can't hold your domain name as a "hostage" in a dispute. You can simply move to another web-hosting provider and point your domain name to it. I probably would have done that, if I hadn't been in a bit of a hurry when I had to move my site after my college discontinued its public server for faculty/staff/students' personal sites. However, Namecheap seems to have a decent reputation in both areas, they've been around for a while, they're independent of the really big companies like GoDaddy that tend to have spotty reputations (e.g. poor customer support), and they're not one of those "kiddie hosts" that are run out of somebody's bedroom.

Likes dlgoff and Silicon Waffle
I would also recommend WordPress.

1. Where can I find reputable science blogging platforms?

There are many reputable science blogging platforms available, such as Scientific American, Nature, and Science Magazine. You can also search for science blogs on popular platforms like Medium or WordPress.

2. Can I start my own science blog?

Yes, absolutely! Starting your own science blog is a great way to share your research and ideas with others. You can create a blog on a platform like WordPress or Blogger, or you can use a website builder like Wix or Squarespace.

3. Is it important to have a background in web design to blog about science?

No, having a background in web design is not necessary to start a science blog. Many platforms offer easy-to-use templates and drag-and-drop editors, making it simple for anyone to create a professional-looking blog. However, having some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS can be helpful.

4. How can I reach a larger audience with my science blog?

To reach a larger audience, it is important to promote your blog on social media and actively engage with other science bloggers. You can also collaborate with other bloggers, participate in blog carnivals, and utilize search engine optimization techniques to improve your blog's visibility.

5. Are there any guidelines for blogging about science?

Yes, there are some general guidelines to keep in mind when blogging about science. These include being accurate and transparent in your writing, avoiding jargon and technical language, properly citing sources, and being respectful of others' work and opinions. It is also important to follow any specific guidelines set by the platform you are using.