New Science Blog -> Looking for input/advice

In summary, the conversation is about starting a new blog focused on science journalism and seeking input and advice from the group on potential content and target audience preferences. The three biggest markets for science topics are discussed as consciousness/neuroscience/cognition, particle and high-energy physics, and cosmology/astronomy. The importance of having good writing skills and getting reviews for blog posts is also mentioned.
David_Harkin
Hi Guys, I am starting a new blog and was looking for a bit of input.

As I have friends in many "interesting" research groups around the UK, I was thinking of doing a bit of science journalism, interviewing people about their research.

I was looking for input/advice, specifically if there is anything my target audience would like to read about in particular? Or, any areas of science research they would like to learn about a bit more?

Any input is much appreciated.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I've always considered doing this; just guessing from a lot of the discussions and science shows I see bouncing around the networks, I think the three biggest markets are currently:

1) consciousness / neuroscience / cognition
2) particle and high-energy physics
3) cosmology / astronomy

Cheers Pythagorean. I was thinking of interviewing a guy working on quantum gravity first. However, I know somebody in HEP who I'm sure would be keen as well.

Work on your writing skills. Get an editor or a friend to review every post you make beforehand. check and see if they come away with an understanding of the core concepts your wrote about. Science blogs have a bad reputation for being overly technical or too watered down, it's hard to get the balance right so be sure to get your work reviewed.

Dear friend,

Congratulations on starting a new science blog! It's always exciting to see more people getting involved in science communication. As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of sharing our research and making it accessible to a wider audience.

In terms of input and advice, I would suggest reaching out to your target audience and asking them directly what they would like to read about. This could be through surveys, social media polls, or even just asking friends and family for their thoughts. This will give you a better understanding of what topics and areas of research your audience is interested in and would like to learn more about.

Additionally, I would recommend diversifying your content and not limiting yourself to just interviews. Consider incorporating other forms of science communication such as infographics, videos, or even interactive elements to make your blog more engaging and appealing to a wider audience.

Lastly, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and explore different areas of science. Your friends in "interesting" research groups may have unique perspectives and insights that could make for great content on your blog.

Overall, keep up the great work and I look forward to reading your blog in the future!

Best of luck,

1. What topics will the blog cover?

The blog will cover a wide range of topics in the field of science, including biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and more. It will also explore current research and scientific breakthroughs, as well as provide insights into the scientific process and how science impacts our daily lives.

2. Will the blog be written for scientists or the general public?

The blog will be written for both scientists and the general public. The content will be presented in a way that is accessible and understandable to all readers, while still providing valuable and accurate information for those with a scientific background.

3. Can readers submit their own ideas or articles?

Yes, we welcome input and contributions from our readers. If you have a topic or idea that you would like to see covered on the blog, please feel free to submit it for consideration. We also encourage guest posts from scientists and experts in various fields.

4. How often will the blog be updated?

The blog will be updated regularly, with new posts published at least once a week. However, the frequency of updates may vary depending on the availability of new and relevant scientific topics to cover.

5. Can I subscribe to the blog for updates?

Yes, you can subscribe to the blog by entering your email address on the website. You will then receive notifications when new posts are published. You can also follow us on social media for updates and links to new blog posts.