Where Can I Find a 6 Hour Mechanical Timer for a Pill Bottle?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a biomedical engineer seeking a 6 hour mechanical timer for a pharmaceutical dispensing apparatus. They initially believed mechanical timers would be cheaper and more disposable, but another individual suggests electronic timers may be a better option. The engineer is also considering reaching out to MIT electrical engineers for help with finding a cost-effective solution. The conversation ends with a request for concrete data on the cost-effectiveness of electronic timers and a question about ISO 90001 manufacturers.
Mark12344567
Hey mechanical engineers, I am a biomedical engineer, I have designed a pharmaceutical dispensing apparatus that is currently powered on mechanical timers I have found online. Does anyone know where I could find a 6 hour mechanical timer I could fit in a standard pill bottle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just to be safe, if you think this information could be dangerous for public view feel free to send me a personal message or request my email. Thanks in advance

Why mechanical? Electronic will likely be cheaper, smaller, more reliable and more accurate.

Is this for a time delay lock that's reset after each dose?

Hey Billy, I was under the impression that a mechanical timer would be cheaper and more easily disposable, do you know of a company that provides electric timers that are cheaper than 1 dollar?

There are plenty of both electronic and mechanical timers on alibaba for less than 1USD/unit.

Where exactly are you in the product development cycle? You say your product already uses a mechanical timer you found online, why not track down the manufacturer and ask for a 6 hour version?

Whether a digital or mechanical timer is appropriate depends on your specifications. The fact you haven't considered digital timers on some perceived cost and 'disposability' issues suggests your product design specification is not fully formed or you haven't fully explored all options.

Have you done a thorough patent search? A quick search found there are already many inventions in this area..

Yes I have done a patent search and own a patent for this utility application and several of the like, I used alibaba for mechanical timers as you are suggesting but the time increment to size ratio is difficult when trying to reach the cost target and I havnt had much luck. I looked into electrical timers but my expertise is limited in this field and I have found expensive solutions... as it sound like you may have some experience in this I decided to reach out to some MIT electrical engineers in my network to see if they can fabricate this solution using electrical means within the price target, if you are capable of fabricating one I would be interested in paying you for this solution, otherwise do you have a legitimate ISO 90001 manufacturer that can provide this solution? Thank you for your help

Also do you have any concrete data showing the electrical timer is cheaper? Or can u dispose of a battery better than a bunch of plastic gears?

Thread closed for Moderation...

EDIT -- Thread will remain closed.

Last edited:

What is a "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer"?

A "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer" is a small, mechanical device used to measure and keep track of time for a period of 6 hours. It typically consists of a spring mechanism and a series of gears that work together to rotate a dial or indicator, showing the passage of time.

How does a "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer" work?

The "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer" works by using a spring mechanism to store potential energy, which is then released slowly to power a series of gears. These gears work together to rotate a dial or indicator, showing the passage of time in increments of 6 hours. Once the spring has fully unwound, the timer will stop until it is reset.

What are the advantages of using a "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer"?

One advantage of using a "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer" is its simplicity. Unlike digital timers, it does not require batteries or electricity to function, making it a more environmentally friendly option. It also does not have any complicated settings or buttons, making it easy to use for anyone.

What are the common uses for a "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer"?

A "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer" can be used for a variety of applications, including cooking, exercising, and managing work or study sessions. It can also be used as a reminder for taking medication or completing tasks within a certain time frame.

Can a "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer" be used as a precision timing device?

No, a "Tiny 6 hour mechanical timer" is not considered a precision timing device. It may have a margin of error of a few minutes or seconds, which may not be suitable for activities that require precise timing, such as scientific experiments or professional sports events.