Where can I find the coefficient of resistance for different metals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter langt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
langt
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know a website that I can get coefficient of resistance of metals?
I've been searching for 2 weeks and have yet to get more than a few basic material readings, "alpha" per degree Celsius. (example) Nickel 0.005866 is there any metal larger than that number?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nickel's TCR is the largest I've seen on a list of about twenty-five common elements. The value is similar for the other elements in that group, iron and cobalt. Most other metals are lower, around 0.4%/K.

The list came from http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/elmat_en/kap_2/illustr/t2_1_1.html" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
langt said:
Does anyone know a website that I can get coefficient of resistance of metals?
I've been searching for 2 weeks and have yet to get more than a few basic material readings, "alpha" per degree Celsius. (example) Nickel 0.005866 is there any metal larger than that number?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/rstiv.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistivity#Table_of_resistivities

http://www2.latech.edu/~rselmic/Courses/ENGR221/Additional%20Material/Resistivity%20Values%20for%20Selected%20Materials.pdf

CS
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's striking how much the values differ between the multiple lists, though the order of magnitude is the same. A reminder of how exquisitely sensitive resistivity is to sample purity. Note the good agreement, though, for platinum, due to both extensive characterization as a temperature sensor (in RTDs) along with limited impurity incorporation into a noble metal.