Where can I purchase this Acrylic container?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Container
I'm not entirely sure. I think I was leaning towards acrylic because of its strength and clarity, but I'm open to other suggestions. In summary, the conversation was about finding a rectangular acrylic box with dimensions 3" high by 4" long by 2" wide to hold liquid. Some suggestions were to check with a local university or plastic shop, or to try gluing the acrylic pieces together oneself. Other options mentioned were using polystyrene or polycarbonate instead of acrylic. The purpose of the box was for conducting experiments and drop tests.
member 428835
Didn't know where to put this, but does anyone know where to purchase a rectangular acrylic box (top open, so I can fill with liquid) with dimensions 3" high by 4" long by 2" wide?

I appreciate any suggestions you have!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like an aquarium. Especially if you want it to hold liquid, it will need to be pretty strong.

berkeman said:
Sounds like an aquarium. Especially if you want it to hold liquid, it will need to be pretty strong.
Ummmm yea but it holds like 1/10th of a gallon (less than 400 mL). Isn't this simple for most acrylic containers?

Yeah, if there is not a lot of weight in it, you could probably have Tap Plastic put it together for you for a reasonable price. Why so little water in such a large container?

berkeman said:
Yeah, if there is not a lot of weight in it, you could probably have Tap Plastic put it together for you for a reasonable price. Why so little water in such a large container?
The container holds ##3 \times 4 \times 2 = 24 in^3 = 393 mL##. Am I missing something?

berkeman said:
I'm not seeing where they produce a container with an open side; have I missed something? I did see this:
https://www.shoppopdisplays.com/CS001/5-sided-clear-acrylic-box-custom-size.htmlbut they don't go down to the 1" size.

joshmccraney said:
The container holds 3×4×2=24in3=393mL3 \times 4 \times 2 = 24 in^3 = 393 mL. Am I missing something?
Oh jeeze, sorry. I misread the dimensions as feet, not inches. Duh o0)
joshmccraney said:
I'm not seeing where they produce a container with an open side
They do have some in their stores, but they can also glue one up for you if you give them the specs for the wall material and how you want it glued together. This may be simple enough that you can glue it together yourself. Have you ever glued acrylic pieces before?

Likes member 428835
berkeman said:
Oh jeeze, sorry. I misread the dimensions as feet, not inches. Duh o0)

They do have some in their stores, but they can also glue one up for you if you give them the specs for the wall material and how you want it glued together. This may be simple enough that you can glue it together yourself. Have you ever glued acrylic pieces before?
I have never glued acrylic.

Okay, let me explain: I want to conduct some experiments and then drop them in a drop tower. Then I'll (hopefully) publish the results against theory. So in making these tubes, they need to be secure enough for a drop and perpendicular walls. Then I have 3 options: 1) try to use someone at our local university to assemble the channel (I think we have staff for this, though I have to check), 2) get it made for me online or in store, 3) make it myself.

Is gluing acrylic accurately difficult?

Just Google "welding acrylic" and you will find a multitude of sites on the subject.

While I am confused about what you actually require, many pet stores sell small plexiglass aquariums already assembled intended for individual beta splendens and gravid guppies.

A small tank for <$30 USD.

Klystron said:
While I am confused about what you actually require, many pet stores sell small plexiglass aquariums already assembled intended for individual beta splendens and gravid guppies.

A small tank for <$30 USD.
I'm still not sure, but it sounds like the OP wants to do drop tests with small plastic enclosures in some drop channel. Kind of like the old pneumatic tube transfer system, but in a non-pressurized drop instead of pressurized tube transfers... ?

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/pneumess/pneu2b.jpg
1564533984616.png

Why does it have to be acrylic?

Boxes of such a small size might be available from craft supply places, but they would likely be made of polystyrene. There are also boxes sold to display items in stores.
I would guess it is unlikely you will find something of the exact dimensions you want, especially if it has to be made of arylic. Most small boxes I have seem are polystyrene.

Small aquariums in that size range would probably be made of polystyrene also. Large plastic aquariums would probably be glued up from acrylic sheet (AKA Plexiglas).
There are also thermoplastics like polypropylene and polyethylene. They are opaque, not clear and can be welded, but not easily glued.

I have made small boxes, similar in size to what you describe, from acrylic for taking pictures of small fish (≤ 1 inch).
Gluing acrylic is not difficult. There are two main gluing techniques:
  1. Use a running solvent for solvent gluing; this requires really well cut edges (often using a router, not a saw (which leaves a lot of grooves in the surface from individual saw teeth), or sanding smooth after cutting) to get a very smooth edge, and therefore a good fit. Apply a few drops of solvent to the joint after assembling the peices and let it wick into the crack.
  2. Using a solvent glue with a bunch of acrylic dissolved in it (like a paste). This is sloppier looking but fills the gaps very well and is less likely to leak.
If impact or heat resistance is important, use polycarbonate (AKA Lexan). Acrylic is comparatively brittle.

A plastic shop like @berkeman suggested could probably supply you with any plastic you need.
Plastic shops often have scraps of plastic (leftovers from jobs they have done) you can get for cheap.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
berkeman said:
Oh jeeze, sorry. I misread the dimensions as feet, not inches. Duh

1564543315940.png

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, diogenesNY, berkeman and 3 others
BillTre said:
Why does it have to be acrylic?

Great question!

1. Where can I find this Acrylic container?

Acrylic containers can be found in various stores, both online and in physical locations. Some common places to purchase them include craft stores, home goods stores, and online retailers such as Amazon or eBay.

2. How do I know if the Acrylic container is of good quality?

When purchasing an Acrylic container, it is important to check for its thickness and clarity. A good quality container should have a thick and sturdy construction, and the material should be clear and free of any scratches or blemishes.

3. Can I purchase custom-sized Acrylic containers?

Yes, many companies offer the option to purchase custom-sized Acrylic containers. This is especially useful if you have specific dimensions in mind or if you need a container with a unique shape.

4. Is it better to purchase an Acrylic container with a lid or without?

This depends on your personal preference and intended use for the container. If you plan on storing items for a long period of time, it may be beneficial to purchase a container with a lid to keep the contents protected. However, if you will be using the container for display purposes, a lid may not be necessary.

5. Are there any specific care instructions for Acrylic containers?

Acrylic containers should be cleaned with a soft, non-abrasive cloth and mild soap or acrylic cleaner. Avoid using harsh chemicals or rough materials that may scratch or damage the surface. It is also important to handle the container with care to prevent any cracks or breaks.