Where could I find some basic problems in physics?

• Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about someone preparing for an interview for the entrance test of M.S. candidates in the field of physics. They discuss the types of questions that may be asked, such as basic problems in classical mechanics, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics. They also mention resources, such as a post on the Physics FAQ List, freshman textbooks, and practice tests for the Physics GRE, that may help with preparation. The conversation ends with a discussion about the seven basic quantities in physics and a recommendation to look at Schaum's Outlines and solved problems for further preparation.
Haorong Wu
Hello. I am going to take an interview for the entrance test of M.S. candidates.

Professors in the interview would ask some basic problems from classical mechanics, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, solid state physics, such as:

What is the seven basic quantities in physics?
What is temperature?
What are the three laws of thermodynamics?
Why electron would not collapse to nuclue?
What is the relation between conservation and symmetry?
What is the difference between crystal and noncrystal?
What is condensed matter physics?

I found the post Physics FAQ List quite informative, and I hope to find other basic problems so that I could be well-prepared for the interview.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know any cheat sheet for questions like this. It looks like a broad range of general knowledge questions in Physics. Students who just finished their Bachelor's with major in Physics should be able to answer them with various levels of detail (which makes sense for this interview).
Freshman textbooks should cover all these concepts, so if you grab something like Serway and Jewett's Physics for Scientists and Engineers and have a read through the concepts you are still unfamiliar with, you should do fine with these questions. There might be better books for this but that is the only introductory physics textbook I read as a freshman.

I have always been a big fan of Schaum's Outlines, all of which have many worked examples. I see that there is a Schaum's Outline in Physics and another outline with 3,000 solved physics problems. The first one will have text explaining physics with many solved problems and the second one probably only has solved problems. You should take a look at those.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
I have a PhD in physics and I'm not sure what the seven basic quantities in physics are. Is that supposed to be asking about the SI base units?

FactChecker said:
I have always been a big fan of Schaum's Outlines, all of which have many worked examples. I see that there is a Schaum's Outline in Physics and another outline with 3,000 solved physics problems. The first one will have text explaining physics with many solved problems and the second one probably only has solved problems. You should take a look at those.

Thanks, FactChecker. It helps a lot.

klotza said:
I have a PhD in physics and I'm not sure what the seven basic quantities in physics are. Is that supposed to be asking about the SI base units?

Sorry. Yes, it is. I am sorry I translated it terriblely.

1. What are some good resources for finding basic physics problems?

There are many resources available for finding basic physics problems. Some popular options include textbooks, online problem banks, and physics forums. You can also consult with your physics professor or classmates for recommendations.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills in physics. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller parts and to use different problem-solving strategies.

3. Are there any specific topics in physics that are commonly tested in basic problems?

Yes, some common topics in basic physics problems include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. It's important to have a solid understanding of these fundamental concepts in order to solve more advanced problems.

4. How can I check my answers to physics problems?

One way to check your answers is by using an online calculator or physics software that can solve the problem for you. You can also compare your solution to the answer key or ask for help from a physics tutor or teacher.

5. What should I do if I can't solve a physics problem?

If you're having trouble solving a physics problem, don't get discouraged. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar problems and practice solving those first. Don't be afraid to ask for help from a classmate, teacher, or physics forum.