Where do i start for relativity?

• Thread starter ashishvinayak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, if you want to learn about Einsteins theory of relativity, 4th dimensions (and higher), Time dilation, and such other concepts just out of interest, then you should start by reading books about relativity, watching videos about relativity on YouTube, and browsing the websites mentioned in this article.
ashishvinayak
I would like to learn a lot about Einsteins theory of relativity, 4th dimensions (and higher), Time dilation, and such other concepts just out of interest. However, i do not know where to start. I know that Wiki is a good place, but its not what i need. I need kind of an in-depth study. So where do i start? Which books do i read?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your math and physics background?

ashishvinayak said:
I would like to learn a lot about Einsteins theory of relativity, 4th dimensions (and higher), Time dilation, and such other concepts just out of interest. However, i do not know where to start. I know that Wiki is a good place, but its not what i need. I need kind of an in-depth study. So where do i start? Which books do i read?

Hi ashish,
check out this link may be useful for you,
http://www.astronomyforbeginners.com/
Einstein's relativity,n Field equation is a good start.
Better watching videos about relativity in youtube n other
For the good books go to thefollowing link
http://freebookspot.in/Category-Astronomy and Cosmology
this is a good site.

All the
physixlover

marcusl said:
What is your math and physics background?

It's pretty mediocre. I've read bits of relativity. Maths is good but nothing advanced. Have done small amounts of calculus, Fourier transforms, laplace, etc . Though i don't know where to apply all that! :frown:

E-Relativity is bases on Riemanian Geometry, mean cure space.
Dirac has written a book On E-Relativity, better read that, but before u should know about special relativity...
H. Weyl has written also a nice book.
Space-Time and Matter.

ashishvinayak said:
It's pretty mediocre. I've read bits of relativity. Maths is good but nothing advanced. Have done small amounts of calculus, Fourier transforms, laplace, etc . Though i don't know where to apply all that! :frown:

what are you studying now? which class 10 or 10+2, indian 10+2 in much enough for studying all these stuff, indian mathematics is much more advance than any other.

physixlover said:
what are you studying now?

second yr engineering.. I just want to do this stuff out of interest.

ashishvinayak said:
second yr engineering.. I just want to do this stuff out of interest.

Yeah i understood, no probs then you can take over the subject ,just with some more concentration and Zeal.

I assume you are primarily interested in special relativity (SR), with some follow-on interest in general relativity (GR). A search on Amazon brings up many reasonably priced intro books with titles like "Relativity Theory Simply Explained" (no math) and "Relativity Demystified" (GR with some math). If you have a university library nearby, browse the shelves and see what appeals to you with your level of math and physics background.

Here's a starter book that you can get used for very little: Nobel prize winner Max Born's "Einstein's Theory of Relativity" (2nd edition, Dover). Born spends most of the book on classical physics for a lay audience, within a historical context. You can skip that part and read the chapter on electrodynamics (or at least the last half of the chapter including the part on the Michelson-Morley experiment). The next chapter is a respectable introduction to special relativity complete with the usual weird behaviors and thought experiments, followed by a descriptive chapter on concepts in general relativity. There is math (you'll see Maxwell's equations, for instance) but it's on the light side, and the writing is clear. This will prepare you for a more rigorous and advanced treatment in the next level of book, of which there are many to choose from.

Having myself wasted a lot of time trying to understand Relativity only to not get it, I sincerely advise you to gain the basic knowledge of undergraduate physics at the level of this book at the very least.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080532187X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I say this because you need to understand where relativity came from. It's only my opinion & experience, I'm sure lots of people learned SR before classical phys, but it didn't work for me & I'd rather get a deep appreciation for it.

Anyway, here are a few books with a proper treatment of special relativity, if you've got a bit of calc behind you to the level of understanding laplace & Fourier I think they should give you no trouble.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716723271/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0748764224/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070854238/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is relativity and why is it important?

Relativity is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time, as well as the motion of objects in the universe. It is important because it has revolutionized our understanding of the physical world and has allowed us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in space.

2. How can I begin learning about relativity?

The best way to start learning about relativity is by studying the basics of physics and mathematics, as these are the foundations of the theory. You can then move on to reading books or articles specifically about relativity, or taking a course on the subject.

3. What are the two types of relativity?

The two types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

4. What are some real-world applications of relativity?

Relativity has been applied in various fields, such as space exploration, GPS technology, and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the structure and behavior of the universe.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand relativity?

While having a good understanding of mathematics is helpful in understanding relativity, it is not a requirement. Many concepts of relativity can be explained in non-mathematical terms, and there are resources available for those who may not have a strong math background.