Where do you buy cork stoppers?

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
In summary, trying a few stores might provide you with a better idea of where to find what you're looking for.
AznBoi
I need to know where I can buy cork stoppers (other than the internet). Cork stoppers are the wood-like things you stuff onto wine bottles-the things you pop off before drinking. Please list retail stores like Walmart, Riteaid, or anywhere that you know that sells them. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure they're hard to find.

I would guess local wineries would have some, and probably sell them too.

I would try your local wine shops.

Good luck getting one on! Corks are designed to expand inside the bottle to make them a tight seal. Once you pop one out they get huge and you can't push it back in.

Edit: Oh, I see you want the thing, not the actual cork. Try a booze shop, and pick me up a bottle of Martini & Rossi champagne .

My parents have one and I'm pretty sure it would have just come from a liquor store.

The last time I was involved in purchasing the kind for wine bottles was ages ago when my parents got into winemaking for a while. They got them from a specialty store that sold supplies for winemaking, and something tells me such places are a rarity nowadays when everything can be bought online.

Do you need actual corks for wine bottles? Or do you just need some sort of stopper of a similar size and shape? Maybe we can think up a substitute if it's not for wine, or if you just need something temporary (like those fancy stoppers they sell to reseal the wine after you've popped out the cork).

Home Depot and Lowes carry them, not a whole lot of selection though in terms of size.

Moonbear said:
The last time I was involved in purchasing the kind for wine bottles was ages ago when my parents got into winemaking for a while. They got them from a specialty store that sold supplies for winemaking, and something tells me such places are a rarity nowadays when everything can be bought online.

Do you need actual corks for wine bottles? Or do you just need some sort of stopper of a similar size and shape? Maybe we can think up a substitute if it's not for wine, or if you just need something temporary (like those fancy stoppers they sell to reseal the wine after you've popped out the cork).

I just need some sort of stopper of 3/4 inches in diamter to fit my panpipe tubes that I made. However, I need the material to fit exactly and tight or else there will be no sound when I blow in the tube. Tape doesn't work because I've tried it and nothing else seems to fit perfectly. =[ I'm trying to find cork stoppers because some internet instructions said to use them (and personally I think they are great to stuff and block). The stopper that I need needs to be able to move around, somewhat acting as a instrument tuner. Stuff cork in gives you higher pitch, pull cork out gives you lower pitch, that sort of thing. Mainly, I just need a stopper so that no air will pass through the other end of the pipe (closed-open end pipe). Thanks for replies, I will check all of the stores that you guys posted.

If there are any suggestions for substitute stoppers, anything that will fit 3/4 inch diameter tube will do. I've tried almost everything I could possibly find in my house and nothing seems to work. Thanks again! :smile:

If its just a stopper use silicone RTV. There may be better ways but i would just rig a support with wire or thread to a thin disk of whatever, submerse that to whatever depth in the pipe and then take maybe some candle wax or oil, coat the inch or so along the pipe, and squueze away. It's stinky but should form a perfect plug.

Yeah, I'd try hardware stores in that case. You might also find rubber stoppers instead of cork. You should get a tight seal with a tapered stopper (just insert as far as needed until it's snug). The down side is you can't adjust it to different depths if you need to do that to adjust the pitch, becuase there will only be one depth that fits. Along the lines of what denverdoc suggested, perhaps even a length of rubber hose that you fill with silicone would provide the adjustability you need if you can find something that will fit.

When I'm shopping in any of those large, "big box" hardware stores and don't have a specific product in mind for solving my problem, I might start by describing it to an employee to see if they have any ideas of where to find products to fit that need, but don't count on them to do that. If they point you to an aisle of rubber stoppers that are all tapered, you might want to try some, but then wander around the store and see if you spot something else that would fit your need better. You might want to just take the panpipe with you so you can try things out.

I'd also try hobby shops, they usually carry cork, balsa wood and other types of wood, etc... You can easily carve a piece of cork to make a perfect fit.

Go to a hardware store and buy a wooden dowel the right diameter to plug the tubes and saw off as many plugs as you need.

1. Where can I buy cork stoppers?

There are several places where you can buy cork stoppers. Some common options include craft stores, home improvement stores, and online retailers. You may also be able to find cork stoppers at specialty wine or brewing supply stores.

2. What is the best place to buy cork stoppers?

The best place to buy cork stoppers depends on your specific needs. If you are looking for a large quantity of cork stoppers, purchasing them online from a bulk supplier may be the most cost-effective option. If you only need a few cork stoppers, a local craft store or home improvement store may be your best bet.

3. How do I know if the cork stoppers are high quality?

When purchasing cork stoppers, make sure to check for any visible defects or imperfections. High-quality cork stoppers should be uniform in size and shape, with minimal cracks or damage. It's also important to purchase cork stoppers from a reputable supplier to ensure their quality.

4. Can I buy cork stoppers in different sizes?

Yes, cork stoppers come in various sizes to fit different bottle openings. When purchasing cork stoppers, make sure to check the measurements and choose the size that best fits your needs. Some suppliers may also offer customizable sizing options.

5. Are there eco-friendly options for buying cork stoppers?

Yes, there are eco-friendly options for buying cork stoppers. Some suppliers offer cork stoppers made from recycled or sustainably sourced cork. You can also look for suppliers that use environmentally friendly packaging and shipping methods.