Where does Mathematical Physics reside?

In summary, the conversation discussed the location of the undergraduate mathematical physics program and whether it falls under the math or physics department. It was mentioned that some universities have research groups in "mathematical physics" that study quantum field theory and integrate new mathematical models. It was suggested that these groups may focus on inventing new mathematics to support physical theories. The conversation also touched on the difficulty of fitting math courses into a physics graduate program.
malignant
Where exactly does this area of study reside? Is it within the math department or the physics department? More specifically, do you need to get accepted into a math or physics graduate program?

The undergraduate mathematical physics program here is listed under both the math and physics degrees and it doesn't seem like the math graduate courses have much to do with physics at all so I'm a bit confused on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some universities have research groups in "mathematical physics". The one I looked at did research into quantum field theory, and I think they worked in integrating new mathematical models within this framework, or something along those lines. From that particular group, I didn't see much difference between them and say, theoretical physics groups working in the same field.
One possible distinction could be that people doing "mathematical physics" invent new mathematics to try and make or account for physical theories, or invent new frameworks with mathematics, but that's just me guessing.

Getting back to what department it's under, the research group I looked at was definitely in the physics department.

ModestyKing said:
Some universities have research groups in "mathematical physics". The one I looked at did research into quantum field theory, and I think they worked in integrating new mathematical models within this framework, or something along those lines. From that particular group, I didn't see much difference between them and say, theoretical physics groups working in the same field.
One possible distinction could be that people doing "mathematical physics" invent new mathematics to try and make or account for physical theories, or invent new frameworks with mathematics, but that's just me guessing.

Getting back to what department it's under, the research group I looked at was definitely in the physics department.

That's interesting. Do you suppose they took a lot of the required math during undergrad? Seems like it'd be difficult to fit courses from the math department during grad school unless they learned it all in physics courses.

It can be in both. My friend has an advisor in each department.

1. What is Mathematical Physics?

Mathematical physics is a field of study that uses mathematical methods and models to understand and explain physical phenomena. It is an interdisciplinary field that bridges the gap between physics and mathematics.

2. Where does Mathematical Physics reside in the academic world?

Mathematical physics is a subfield of both mathematics and physics. It can be found in departments of mathematics, physics, and sometimes applied mathematics or engineering. Some universities also have specific programs or departments dedicated to mathematical physics.

3. What are the main topics covered in Mathematical Physics?

Some of the main topics covered in mathematical physics include mathematical analysis, differential equations, calculus of variations, group theory, and functional analysis. Other topics may include quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and general relativity.

4. Is Mathematical Physics a theoretical or experimental field?

Mathematical physics is primarily a theoretical field, as it focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain physical phenomena. However, it also has applications in experimental physics, as mathematical methods are used to analyze and interpret data.

5. What career opportunities are available for those studying Mathematical Physics?

Studying mathematical physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government, or private industry. Graduates may also pursue careers in data analysis, finance, or computer science, as the skills and problem-solving abilities gained in mathematical physics are highly transferable.