Where does p = 5 (mod 8) solve x^2 = a?

• Thread starter squire636
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking if one of the solutions to x^2=a (mod p) is the only possible solution, and if so, what that solution is.
squire636
The problem is actually slightly simpler than that, but I couldn't fit it all into the topic title.

Let p be a prime satisfying p = 5 (mod 8) and suppose that 'a' is a quadratic residue modulo p. I need to show that one of the values:

x = a^(p+3)/8 or x = 2a*(4a)^(p-5)/8

is a solution to the congruence x^2 = a (mod p).

I really have no idea how to even start this. If it was just a single case, I think I would be able to make some progress, but since I have to prove that one or the other works (depending on the situation), I'm totally lost. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, squire,
if I understood the question correctly, note that it is *not* about finding values of x and a that satisfy one of the solutions together with x^2≡a (actually, x≡a≡0 will satisfy both solutions). It is about choosing the one of the two solutions that makes x^2≡a always true for *all* values of x,a (and p) that satisfy the solution. So you're looking for a single counterexample that invalidates one of the solutions. You may try substituting x^2 for a on both proposed solutions, and then seeing if some value of x does not work for some p.

Also, I don't think the question is about one of the expressions being "the one and only form" of the solution of x^2≡a. It only asks for one of the expressions to be *a* possible solution (there may be other forms that can be solutions -- but the *other* expression, the one of the two that you don't choose, must clearly fail).

Last edited:
Well parts (b) and (c) of this question ask me to find a numerical solution for a particular case. For (b), one of the options provides a correct solution, but for (c) the other option provides a correct solution. So I think each one works for different cases. I'm not sure if what I said was clear, so let me know if you need me to clarify.

Hint: Because a is a quad residue mod p, Euler's criterion tells us that ##a^{\frac{p-1}{2}} \equiv 1 \pmod{p}##.

squire636 said:
The problem is actually slightly simpler than that, but I couldn't fit it all into the topic title.

Let p be a prime satisfying p = 5 (mod 8) and suppose that 'a' is a quadratic residue modulo p. I need to show that one of the values:

x = a^(p+3)/8 or x = 2a*(4a)^(p-5)/8

is a solution to the congruence x^2 = a (mod p).

I really have no idea how to even start this. If it was just a single case, I think I would be able to make some progress, but since I have to prove that one or the other works (depending on the situation), I'm totally lost. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Let's see if I got this right. We operate all the time modulo p, and let [itex]p=5+8\cdot k[/itex] be a prime number and we assume [itex]a\neq 0[/itex]:

suppose [itex]x=a^{\frac{p+3}{8}}=a^{k+1}\Longrightarrow a=x^2=a^{2(k+1)}\Longrightarrow a^{2k+1}=1\Longrightarrow \,[/itex] the order of a in the

multiplicative group [itex]\left(Z/pZ\right)^{*}[/itex] is a divisor of 2k + 1 (please do note that always [itex](2k+1)|(p-1)[/itex] )...and so we suspect that when the order of a

is greater than 2k + 1 then it is the second formula that works (since then the first one cannot possibly work, of course).

But, in fact, [itex]p-1=5+8\cdot k -1 = 4(2k+1)\Longrightarrow[/itex] , and since it is always true that [itex]y\in\left(Z/pZ\right)^*[/itex] is a quad. res. [itex] \,\Longleftrightarrow 1=y^{\frac{p-1}{2}}[/itex] , then

[itex]1=a^{\frac{p-1}{2}}=a^{2(2k+1)}\Longrightarrow\,\, [/itex] the order of a is [itex]2(2k+1)[/itex] as expected, since it cannot be [itex]4(2k + 1)=p-1\,\,[/itex] (why?).

Hope the above helps.

DonAntonio

Got it, thanks so much!

1. What does the equation p = 5 (mod 8) mean?

The equation p = 5 (mod 8) means that p is congruent to 5 when divided by 8. In other words, when p is divided by 8, the remainder is 5.

2. How does this equation relate to the equation x^2 = a?

The equation x^2 = a is known as a quadratic equation and it has two solutions. The equation p = 5 (mod 8) is a special case of the quadratic equation where the solutions for x are limited to numbers that are congruent to 5 when divided by 8.

3. Can this equation have multiple solutions for x?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions for x. Since x^2 = a has two solutions, the equation p = 5 (mod 8) can also have two solutions as long as they are congruent to 5 when divided by 8.

4. How can I find the solutions for x in this equation?

To find the solutions for x in this equation, you can use the properties of modular arithmetic. For example, if p = 5 (mod 8), then p + 8k = 5 for any integer k. You can substitute p + 8k for x in the equation x^2 = a and solve for k to find the solutions for x.

5. What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation has significance in number theory and cryptography. It is used to solve problems involving congruences and modular arithmetic, and it is also used in encryption algorithms to ensure the security of data.