1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does the abelian part come in?

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the set H of all solutions satisfying the equation x^n = e form a subgroup of an abelian group G with identity e.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

e^n = e so e belongs to H.

x^n = e => x^(-n)= e => (x^(-1))^n= e so for any x belonging to H, x inverse belongs to H.

if a^n=e and b^n= e => (ab)^n=e so ab belongs to H.

where does the abelian part come in?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    (ab)^n = (ab)(ab)(ab)...(ab)(ab)(ab) =(<--here) (aa...aaa)(bb...bb) = a^nb^n = ee = e

note that more is true, the set of all elements of finite order of an abelian group form a subgroup. the proof is the same as this except showing closure is slightly different, you could do it for practice if u wanted

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    i'm going to do the practice problem just to make sure i've got it. if a^n=e and b^s=e then (a^n * b^s)=e. then by the group being abelian (ab)^s * a^(n-s)=e. we can assume n>s without loss of generality. therefore (ab)^s = a^s. if we take both sides to the power (n/s) then we have (ab)^n = e. thus ab belongs to G.

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4
    by the way i still don't understand why G must be abelian in the first problem.

6. Nov 28, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That was answered in ircdan's first response. If G is not abelian, then (ab)n is NOT, in general, anbn so you cannot use the fact that an= bn= e.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?