Where does the origin lie in the Transmission line equation

In summary, the transmission line equation is of the form Φ(x, t) = F(x − ct) + G(x + ct), where F(x-ct) represents the forward traveling wave and G(x+ct) represents the reverse traveling wave. The origin in this equation can be placed anywhere on the line, but it is often assumed to be at the left terminus, where the driving voltage source is located, with x=L at the right terminus where the load impedance is located. This means that the origin can be considered as the voltage source. However, it ultimately depends on the specific configuration of the transmission line and its components.
iVenky
Transmission line equation is of the form-

Φ(x, t) = F(x − ct) + G(x + ct)

where F(x-ct) is the forward traveling wave and
G(x+ct) is the reverse traveling wave

'x' is the distance from the origin. Now my question is where does the origin lie? Usually in Transmission lines we assume that origin lies in the load (right side) but if we see this equation it looks as if the origin lies in the source (generator) side in accordance with the wave equation.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
origin can be wherever (on the line) you care to put it.

usually i see it at the left terminus of the line and x=L at the right terminus. usually, at the left is the driving voltage source (with an internal impedance) and at the right is the load impedance. that will affect what F() and G() are.

rbj said:
origin can be wherever (on the line) you care to put it.

usually i see it at the left terminus of the line and x=L at the right terminus. usually, at the left is the driving voltage source (with an internal impedance) and at the right is the load impedance. that will affect what F() and G() are.

Thanks for the reply. But I would like to know if I was correct or not. In the above equation that I had mentioned if F() is the forward propagation wave then it should mean that the voltage source is the origin, right?

Thanks a lot

1. What is the Transmission Line Equation?

The Transmission Line Equation is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of electrical signals as they travel along a transmission line. It takes into account factors such as resistance, inductance, and capacitance to calculate the voltage and current at any point along the line.

2. What is the origin in the Transmission Line Equation?

The origin in the Transmission Line Equation refers to the starting point of the transmission line, typically the source of the electrical signal. It is the reference point from which all other measurements along the line are taken.

3. Why is it important to know where the origin lies in the Transmission Line Equation?

The origin is important because it allows us to accurately measure and analyze the behavior of electrical signals as they travel along the transmission line. By knowing the origin, we can determine the voltage and current at any point along the line and make necessary adjustments to ensure proper signal transmission.

4. Can the origin be moved in the Transmission Line Equation?

Yes, the origin can be moved in the Transmission Line Equation, but it is typically fixed at the starting point of the transmission line for convenience and consistency in measurements. However, in certain cases, such as when dealing with multiple sources or reflections, the origin may need to be adjusted to accurately analyze the behavior of the signals.

5. How does the origin impact the accuracy of the Transmission Line Equation?

The accuracy of the Transmission Line Equation is not affected by the location of the origin, as long as it is consistently applied in all calculations. However, if the origin is not properly identified, it can lead to errors in measurements and analysis of the electrical signals traveling along the transmission line.