A proton is placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C

In summary, the magnitude of the acceleration of a proton placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C is 6.71*10^10 m/s^2. The direction of the acceleration is in the same direction as the electric field, as the proton is positively charged.
Curious314
A proton is placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C. What is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of this proton due to this field?

in a google I found that
1 proton= 1.6022 x 10 ^ -19
and 1.6726 x 10 ^ -27 kg

so I first get the force :
F= q*E
f= (1.6022 x 10 ^ -19 )(700 N/C)
f=1.1215 * 10^ -16N

f=ma

f/m=a
1.1215 * 10^-16 / 1.6726 * 10^-27 = a
6.71* 10^10 m/s^2 = a

am I right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious314 said:
A proton is placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C. What is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of this proton due to this field?

in a google I found that
1 proton= 1.6022 x 10 ^ -19
and 1.6726 x 10 ^ -27 kg

so I first get the force :
F= q*E
f= (1.6022 x 10 ^ -19 )(700 N/C)
f=1.1215 * 10^ -16N

f=ma

f/m=a
1.1215 * 10^-16 / 1.6726 * 10^-27 = a
6.71* 10^10 m/s^2 = a

am I right?

Thanks!
Looks like the correct magnitude.

What's the direction of the acceleration ?

since it a positive charge and a positive field, i guess opposite. am I right??

In second thought, it goes with the elctric field... because is positive and the proton is positive, so they go in the same direction... right?

Curious314 said:
In second thought, it goes with the elctric field... because is positive and the proton is positive, so they go in the same direction... right?

Yes, the proton is going in the direction of the electric field.

thank you a lot SammyS and Xisune!

Related to A proton is placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C

1. What is the force experienced by the proton in the electric field?

The force experienced by a proton in an electric field is equal to the product of the electric field intensity and the charge of the proton. In this case, the force would be 700 N/C multiplied by the charge of a proton, which is approximately 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs.

2. How does the direction of the electric field affect the motion of the proton?

The direction of the electric field will determine the direction of the force experienced by the proton. If the electric field is in the same direction as the motion of the proton, the force will accelerate the proton in that direction. If the electric field is in the opposite direction, the force will decelerate the proton.

3. What is the magnitude of the electric field required to keep the proton in equilibrium?

If the proton is to remain in equilibrium, the force experienced by the proton due to the electric field must be equal and opposite to the force of gravity acting on the proton. The magnitude of the electric field required for this to happen would be equal to the gravitational field strength, which is approximately 9.8 N/kg.

4. How would the electric field affect a proton with a different charge?

The force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field is directly proportional to the charge of the particle. Therefore, a proton with a different charge would experience a different force in the same electric field. If the charge is greater than that of a proton, the force would be greater, and if the charge is smaller, the force would be smaller.

5. What would happen if the electric field intensity was increased or decreased?

If the electric field intensity is increased, the force experienced by the proton would also increase, causing the proton to accelerate more in the direction of the electric field. Conversely, if the electric field intensity is decreased, the force and acceleration would also decrease. If the electric field intensity becomes zero, the proton would no longer experience any force and would continue in its current state of motion.