A proton is placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 28K views
Curious314
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
A proton is placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C. What is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of this proton due to this field?

in a google I found that
1 proton= 1.6022 x 10 ^ -19
and 1.6726 x 10 ^ -27 kg

so I first get the force :
F= q*E
f= (1.6022 x 10 ^ -19 )(700 N/C)
f=1.1215 * 10^ -16N

f=ma

f/m=a
1.1215 * 10^-16 / 1.6726 * 10^-27 = a
6.71* 10^10 m/s^2 = a

am I right?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Curious314 said:
A proton is placed in an electric field of intensity 700 N/C. What is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of this proton due to this field?

in a google I found that
1 proton= 1.6022 x 10 ^ -19
and 1.6726 x 10 ^ -27 kg

so I first get the force :
F= q*E
f= (1.6022 x 10 ^ -19 )(700 N/C)
f=1.1215 * 10^ -16N

f=ma

f/m=a
1.1215 * 10^-16 / 1.6726 * 10^-27 = a
6.71* 10^10 m/s^2 = a

am I right?

Thanks!
Looks like the correct magnitude.

What's the direction of the acceleration ?
 
since it a positive charge and a positive field, i guess opposite. am I right??
 
In second thought, it goes with the elctric field... because is positive and the proton is positive, so they go in the same direction... right?
 
Curious314 said:
In second thought, it goes with the elctric field... because is positive and the proton is positive, so they go in the same direction... right?

Yes, the proton is going in the direction of the electric field.