Where to Go for College Physics: Quantum Mechanics & Nuclear Engineering

• Thread starter Capt_Jet23
  • Start date
In summary: It's a bit pricey though. I'm still looking into other schools.In summary, the protagonist is looking for information on colleges and wants advice on which to choose. She has visited different schools around the state and is still considering which to attend.
Capt_Jet23
Hi. I posted a while ago about this, but nobody seemed to want to help me. Now I'm hoping someone will find it in their heart to help me out a bit here. I want to go into Physics. Pretty much any experimental physics would be good for me. I am very good at math, and I have a certain passion for Physics. My question to you is this: Where should I look to go to college? I would appreciate any help on this subject, as I am having trouble finding ANY information on colleges, and nobody seems to want to help me.

P.S. The fields I am most interested in are Quantum Mechanics, and Nuclear Engineering.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Do yo not have any teachers you can ask? I got the us news grad school book. Also there is one exclusively for physics, not sure who makes it but it is crammed with useful info.

graduate physics programs published by the aps

well as for my teachers, they only give testimonies on the school that THEY went to, and honestly, they weren't very good schools. but ill look into those programs.
thanks

well you need to decide to go big or small, that's the first step.

idk really whether i want big or small, it doesn't matter to me, nor does location. i just want somewhere i can LEARN. i aim to be one of the best (i know it sounds a little cliche, but dreams can't hurt). i need a good undergrad school, as well as some choices for grad school. anything that could help me lay a nice foundation, and learn as much as possible.

Texas A&M is a nice school for nuclear, not familar with any others for that field outside of millitary colleges. Quantum Mechanics seems like somthing most schools offer with their physics program. Have you looked at or visited any schools yet?

I've visited different schools around the state, but frankly...Alabama SUCKS as far as schools go. Auburn is the best school in the state, and they don't have much as far as experimental physics goes. I am still a Jr. in high school, and so far, I'm thinking about attending MIT until i can get a bachelors/masters then going to a more specialized school. Anyone have any comments on that, or should i stick with that for now?

Capt_Jet23 said:
I've visited different schools around the state, but frankly...Alabama SUCKS as far as schools go. Auburn is the best school in the state, and they don't have much as far as experimental physics goes. I am still a Jr. in high school, and so far, I'm thinking about attending MIT until i can get a bachelors/masters then going to a more specialized school. Anyone have any comments on that, or should i stick with that for now?

MIT is a good school but it's pretty hard to get into, 4.0 GPA and top SAT scores (800 math) are pretty much a must to get into the place. My point is you might want to look into other places too.

Capt_Jet23 said:
I'm thinking about attending MIT until i can get a bachelors/masters then going to a more specialized school. Anyone have any comments on that, or should i stick with that for now?
Um...MIT's not some podunk community college that people typically transfer out of.

MIT sucks, overrated. I go there now and all of my classmates are IDIOTS.

well I am keeping my options open...any other good schools anyone can think of that i should look into?

caltech, uva, UNC, UCLA, UCSB (very good physics program), NYU, texas A&M, U minnesota twin cities. There are a lot of good physics programs.

okay. Thanks for all of your help

GA Tech if your that close, my professor went there for mechanical/ nuclear and said the program was great.

1. What colleges offer programs in both college physics and quantum mechanics and nuclear engineering?

Some top universities that offer programs in both college physics and quantum mechanics and nuclear engineering include MIT, Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign.

2. Is it better to attend a specialized college or a university with a strong physics department for these fields?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Attending a specialized college may provide more focused and in-depth courses, while a university with a strong physics department may offer a wider range of electives and research opportunities. Consider your academic strengths and interests when making this decision.

3. Are there any online or distance learning options for studying these fields?

Yes, there are some online and distance learning options for studying college physics, quantum mechanics, and nuclear engineering. However, these fields require hands-on laboratory work and extensive mathematical and scientific knowledge, so it may be more beneficial to attend in-person classes.

4. What are the typical prerequisites for these programs?

The typical prerequisites for programs in college physics, quantum mechanics, and nuclear engineering include a strong foundation in mathematics (calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra), physics (mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics), and chemistry. Some programs may also require coursework in computer science and engineering.

5. Are there any internships or research opportunities available for students in these fields?

Yes, many universities and research institutions offer internships and research opportunities for students in college physics, quantum mechanics, and nuclear engineering. These experiences can provide hands-on training and valuable skills for future careers in these fields.