1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where should I go?

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    Hi. I posted a while ago about this, but nobody seemed to want to help me. Now I'm hoping someone will find it in their heart to help me out a bit here. I want to go into Physics. Pretty much any experimental physics would be good for me. I am very good at math, and I have a certain passion for Physics. My question to you is this: Where should I look to go to college? I would appreciate any help on this subject, as I am having trouble finding ANY information on colleges, and nobody seems to want to help me.

P.S. The feilds I am most interested in are Quantum Mechanics, and Nuclear Engineering.

Thank You
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2
    Do yo not have any teachers you can ask? I got the us news grad school book. Also there is one exclusively for physics, not sure who makes it but it is crammed with useful info.
  4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    graduate physics programs published by the aps
  5. Aug 11, 2007 #4
    well as for my teachers, they only give testimonies on the school that THEY went to, and honestly, they werent very good schools. but ill look into those programs.
  6. Aug 11, 2007 #5
    well you need to decide to go big or small, that's the first step.
  7. Aug 11, 2007 #6
    idk really whether i want big or small, it doesnt matter to me, nor does location. i just want somewhere i can LEARN. i aim to be one of the best (i know it sounds a little cliche, but dreams cant hurt). i need a good undergrad school, as well as some choices for grad school. anything that could help me lay a nice foundation, and learn as much as possible.
  8. Aug 13, 2007 #7
    Texas A&M is a nice school for nuclear, not familar with any others for that field outside of millitary colleges. Quantum Mechanics seems like somthing most schools offer with their physics program. Have you looked at or visited any schools yet?
  9. Aug 14, 2007 #8
    I've visited different schools around the state, but frankly...Alabama SUCKS as far as schools go. Auburn is the best school in the state, and they dont have much as far as experimental physics goes. I am still a Jr. in high school, and so far, I'm thinking about attending MIT until i can get a bachelors/masters then going to a more specialized school. Anyone have any comments on that, or should i stick with that for now?
  10. Aug 14, 2007 #9
    MIT is a good school but it's pretty hard to get into, 4.0 GPA and top SAT scores (800 math) are pretty much a must to get into the place. My point is you might want to look into other places too.
  11. Aug 14, 2007 #10
    Um...MIT's not some podunk community college that people typically transfer out of.
  12. Aug 14, 2007 #11
    MIT sucks, overrated. I go there now and all of my classmates are IDIOTS.
  13. Aug 14, 2007 #12
    well im keeping my options open...any other good schools anyone can think of that i should look into?
  14. Aug 14, 2007 #13
    caltech, uva, UNC, UCLA, UCSB (very good physics program), NYU, texas A&M, U minnesota twin cities. There are alot of good physics programs.
  15. Aug 14, 2007 #14
    okay. Thanks for all of your help
  16. Aug 14, 2007 #15
    GA Tech if your that close, my professor went there for mechanical/ nuclear and said the program was great.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?