Rank US Universities for Physics Program

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, according to the summary you provided, the best universities for physics departments are: 1. American Univeristy 2. Bridgewater State College 3. Ithaca College 4. Harvard University 5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 6. Plattsburgh State University 7. Smith College 8. Wellesley College
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi,

I'm going to apply to a program that will allow me, should I be selected, to spend a year at one of the U.S. University listed below. However, the only ones I ever heard of are MIT and Harvard! I have to list those Universities in order fropm the one I'd prefer to go to, to the one I'd least like to go to. I'd be much grateful if you could list those Universities in order of best to worst (according to you) for their physics department. And of course, any comments are welcome.

1. American Univeristy

2. Bridgewater State College

3. Ithaca College

4. Harvard University

5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

6. Plattsburgh State University

7. Smith College

8. Wellesley College

Thanx a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
Hi,

I'm going to apply to a program that will allow me, should I be selected, to spend a year at one of the U.S. University listed below. However, the only ones I ever heard of are MIT and Harvard! I have to list those Universities in order fropm the one I'd prefer to go to, to the one I'd least like to go to. I'd be much grateful if you could list those Universities in order of best to worst (according to you) for their physics department. And of course, any comments are welcome.

1. American Univeristy

2. Bridgewater State College

3. Ithaca College

4. Harvard University

5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

6. Plattsburgh State University

7. Smith College

8. Wellesley College

Thanx a lot!

I would pick MIT over harvard, those being the top two on the list. after that I'm not sure. I would Wellesley would have the smallest physics program out of all of them, but i could be wrong. I don't know anything about the others.

Oh also, i don't know if you're a guy or a gal, but SMith and Wellesley are women's only schools, in case you didn't know.

Wellesley has a good program, I know the resident astronomer there. Also the school allows you to take classes over at MIT so if you're not sure you can get in Wellesley is a good alternative.

I'm not female. Aren't Wellesley and Smith girls-only schools?

1. What is the top-ranked university for physics programs in the US?

The top-ranked university for physics programs in the US is currently Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). It consistently ranks highly for its strong research programs and renowned faculty in the field of physics.

2. How are universities ranked for their physics programs?

Universities are typically ranked for their physics programs based on factors such as research output, faculty expertise, student satisfaction, and industry reputation. Various organizations and publications, such as U.S. News & World Report and QS World University Rankings, use different methodologies to determine their rankings.

3. What other universities are highly ranked for their physics programs?

Other universities that are highly ranked for their physics programs in the US include California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Stanford University, and Harvard University. These universities also have strong research programs and renowned faculty in the field of physics.

4. Can rankings change year to year for universities' physics programs?

Yes, rankings can change year to year for universities' physics programs. Factors such as changes in faculty, research output, and student satisfaction can influence a university's ranking. It is important to regularly check for updates and changes in rankings when considering universities for their physics programs.

5. Are rankings the only factor to consider when choosing a university for a physics program?

No, rankings are not the only factor to consider when choosing a university for a physics program. While rankings can provide a general idea of a university's overall reputation and quality of its physics program, it is important to also consider factors such as location, cost, curriculum, and opportunities for hands-on research or internships. It is also important to personally visit and research the universities to determine which one best fits an individual's academic and career goals.