1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to find Electric displacement help

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the idea of electric displacement fields, it doesn't fit in with any the intuition I gained from lower devision E&M. Are there any lectures online dealing with the subject? Or textbooks that do a particularly good job of explaining? (My class uses Griffiths, who I'm usually pretty happy with, but his explanation of the topic isn't sufficient this time).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    To clarify: my issue is with the difference between electric displacement (D), and the closest analogy I know, electric field, in an electrostatic environment. Things like how E field lines end at any charge and D lines only end at free charges. If you want to explain it yourself that would be helpful as well, but since I have a weak understanding I cannot form pointed questions that can be answered easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook