Where to Start Physics Studies: Algebra Student Guide

• Thread starter LiveFree
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an algebra student's interest in studying physics, particularly string theory. It is recommended that the student focuses on improving their math skills before delving into advanced physics concepts. Popular science books and Feynman's lectures are suggested as resources for beginners.
LiveFree
Hello All!

Being my first post here at this wonderful forum; I would like to say that PF looks very exciting!

I have been interested in physics and our natural laws from a very young age; always questioning why x happens.

I can hope to say that I understand part of string-theory, or atleast I like to think so.

For an Algebra student who is interested in studying physics in general (not just theoretical, a bit of structural, physical, etc)... where shoudl I look in the ways of books, websites, and courses.

I am looking forward to asking questions and hopefully contributing!

Thank You,
Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
LiveFree said:
For an Algebra student |----| I understand part of string-theory

Err... no you don't.

Let me expand on that. The language of physics is math. Algebra only scratches the surface. At this point, you should probably stick to "popular science" (or whatever it's called) books like A Brief History of Time.

Unless, you REALLY want to learn the math. I have a distaste for math that is not applied somehow (which happens to be how it's taught...), so someone else can chime in with suggestions of math books.

However, there is still a bit you can learn about physics with only algebra under your belt. For example, Giancoli is mainly algebra. It has some definitions that use Calculus, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble if you just skip that part. You can understand the concepts now and learn the proofs later. This is a textbook, though, with problems to work out. If you don't want to put in any work (and that's fine, you're aren't very advanced or anything so doing it as a hobby is fine), then just stick to the popular books for now.

As far as I heard, string theory requires really hard math for understanding, more harder than standard lin.alg/dif.eq level and of course, more than algebra.
You see, to read Goethe's original (let's forget about translations for the sake of good example :) ) you need to learn German, to understand physics you need to learn high level math. Otherwise, you can read summaries of Goethe or summaries of String theory in another language (popular English) which of course don't give the real thing.

That is why you should concentrate on your math going before studying physics of that level. For such level as yours, I'd strongly suggest Feynman's lectures. He introduces calculus very quickly but in terms of physics so you can get caught up really quickly. Also, Feynman's books are used for teaching at Caltech :)

1. What is the purpose of the "Where to Start Physics Studies: Algebra Student Guide"?

The "Where to Start Physics Studies: Algebra Student Guide" is designed to help students who are new to physics understand the fundamental concepts and principles of algebra that are necessary for success in physics.

2. Do I need prior knowledge of algebra to use this guide?

Yes, this guide is intended for students who have a basic understanding of algebra. It assumes you are familiar with concepts such as equations, variables, and graphing.

3. How can this guide help me improve my understanding of physics?

This guide provides a solid foundation in algebraic concepts that are essential for solving physics problems. By mastering these concepts, you will have a better understanding of how to apply them in physics and improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Can this guide be used for self-study or is it meant to be used in a classroom setting?

This guide can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It is designed to be a comprehensive resource for students who want to improve their understanding of algebra in the context of physics.

5. Are there any additional resources or materials that I should use alongside this guide?

While this guide provides a solid foundation in algebra, it is always beneficial to supplement your studies with additional resources such as textbooks, practice problems, and online tutorials. This will help reinforce your understanding and application of algebraic concepts in physics.