Where to start with Theoretical Physics?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to determine if studying theoretical physics is suitable for them. They are interested in topics such as astrophysics and string theory, but recognize that studying these subjects may be different from simply reading about them. The responder suggests obtaining an undergraduate degree in physics and seeking guidance from an academic advisor. They also note that there is often no distinction between theoretical and experimental physics at the undergraduate level and that the term "theoretical physics" is not well-defined within the practice of physics.
assademre
Firstly, I'm sorry if it is wrong part to start this thread. I'm new here and I can change the category if you let me know.
Secondly, I want to learn something about theoretical physics. I am about to finish my study Mathematics in a semester. However, I consider to study physics either and I have to know that if it is suitable for me or not. So, could you tell me some textbook or some video lessons to make me understand if I am capable to understand it.
Thanks for your interest!

Physics news on Phys.org
assademre said:
Firstly, I'm sorry if it is wrong part to start this thread. I'm new here and I can change the category if you let me know.
Secondly, I want to learn something about theoretical physics. I am about to finish my study Mathematics in a semester. However, I consider to study physics either and I have to know that if it is suitable for me or not. So, could you tell me some textbook or some video lessons to make me understand if I am capable to understand it.
Thanks for your interest!

First of all, let's start by seeing if you have a clear and unambiguous understanding of what YOU mean by "theoretical physics". Read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/i-want-to-do-theoretical-physics.765732/

.. and then explain what you really mean.

Zz.

Likes assademre
That's exactly what my point is. I cannot specify my wish as "I want to study String Theory" or "I think Astrophysics is the topic which I would want to work on". Because I love to read or watch or research about those topics but study on them will be completely different. If you ask me what I like to read about , I would say I am interested with astrophysics and String Theory.

assademre said:
That's exactly what my point is. I cannot specify my wish as "I want to study String Theory" or "I think Astrophysics is the topic which I would want to work on". Because I love to read or watch or research about those topics but study on them will be completely different. If you ask me what I like to read about , I would say I am interested with astrophysics and String Theory.

So then, what is the issue here?

Unless your educational system (you never specify where in the world you are, which is one of my pet peeve for new members on here) requires that you somehow indicate if you will be doing "theoretical physics" or not in your program, then what you want to do is to first and foremost, get an undergraduate degree in physics! As you advance in the program, your academic advisor (assuming you have one), can direct you more into courses that you have a more keen interest in, depending on the flexibility of your curriculum.

Here in the US, there is often no distinction between "theoretical physics" or "experimental physics" program at the undergraduate level. Everyone will almost take the same basic requirements, and only during their final year will they have some flexibility to take courses that fit into their subject area of interest, and very seldom is this divided into "theoretical" versus "experimental".

BTW, just in case people are curious, the American Physical Society (APS) has a list of all the sub-divisions under its wing, and if you look carefully, you will find that there is no such thing as people specializing in "theoretical physics". We can even go one step further. If you look at one of the most prominent and top physics journal, the Physical Review Letters, you will also NOT see a section on "theoretical physics".

One may do theoretical work in a particular topic in physics, but doing "theoretical physics" is vague and ambiguous, and it is often not well-defined within the practice of physics. That is what the article that I wrote and referred to earlier was trying to convey.

Zz.

Likes assademre
ZapperZ said:
So then, what is the issue here?

Unless your educational system (you never specify where in the world you are, which is one of my pet peeve for new members on here) requires that you somehow indicate if you will be doing "theoretical physics" or not in your program, then what you want to do is to first and foremost, get an undergraduate degree in physics! As you advance in the program, your academic advisor (assuming you have one), can direct you more into courses that you have a more keen interest in, depending on the flexibility of your curriculum.

Here in the US, there is often no distinction between "theoretical physics" or "experimental physics" program at the undergraduate level. Everyone will almost take the same basic requirements, and only during their final year will they have some flexibility to take courses that fit into their subject area of interest, and very seldom is this divided into "theoretical" versus "experimental".

BTW, just in case people are curious, the American Physical Society (APS) has a list of all the sub-divisions under its wing, and if you look carefully, you will find that there is no such thing as people specializing in "theoretical physics". We can even go one step further. If you look at one of the most prominent and top physics journal, the Physical Review Letters, you will also NOT see a section on "theoretical physics".

One may do theoretical work in a particular topic in physics, but doing "theoretical physics" is vague and ambiguous, and it is often not well-defined within the practice of physics. That is what the article that I wrote and referred to earlier was trying to convey.

Zz.
It is exactly answer my question. Thank you so much for your interest, sir.

1. What is Theoretical Physics?

Theoretical Physics is a branch of physics that seeks to explain natural phenomena through mathematical models and theoretical frameworks. It focuses on developing and testing theories that can explain the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying Theoretical Physics?

A strong background in mathematics, particularly calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is essential for studying Theoretical Physics. Knowledge of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is also necessary.

3. What are the important topics in Theoretical Physics?

Theoretical Physics covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, relativity, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and particle physics. Other important areas include cosmology, astrophysics, and condensed matter physics.

4. What are some resources for learning Theoretical Physics?

There are many resources available for learning Theoretical Physics, including textbooks, online lectures, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Theoretical Physics" by John D. Jackson and "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera offer free lectures and courses on Theoretical Physics.

5. What are some career options in Theoretical Physics?

Theoretical Physics is a highly specialized field, and career opportunities are primarily in research and academia. Theoretical physicists can work in universities, research institutions, and government agencies. Some may also find opportunities in the private sector, particularly in industries such as technology, aerospace, and energy.