Where to study? (German speaking countries)

• Thread starter beta3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the person is deciding between universities in Vienna, Munich, and Zurich to study physics and is considering working in management in the future. They mention the potential for higher salaries with a physics degree and also mention the possibility of studying at MIT. They receive advice to consider the top universities in Munich and Zurich, and to not worry about job prospects with a physics degree as it can lead to various career paths.
beta3
Hi

Soon I'm finished with school and I have to decide at which university I want to study, but somehow I can't decide

I'm currently considering the following universities, can you please give any comments or maybe even experiences from yourselves or ones from friends you have heard?
  • University of Vienna (Uni Wien)
  • Technical University of Vienna (TU Wien)
  • University of Munich (LM Munich)
  • Technical Univeristy of Munich (TU Munich)
  • Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich(ETH)

I want to study physics, but I don't want to work as physicist (scientist or teacher), I'd rather like to work in the management of a company (I know, it sounds stupid to study physics for this, but physics is my passion. I don't think the salary is enough to make a good living. Has anyone typical salaries for physicists in Europa?)
How likely is it to work in the management of a company with a physics degree?

At ETH I could first make a Bachelor in physics, then make a master in management or economic sciences.
But Zurich is rather far away from me (about 550km) and Switzerland is a rather expensive place.
Vienna and Munich both are about 200km away from my home, but there I can't change so easily.
All three have no restrictions of admissions, meaning I can study in any of those three without any problems, because of my Austrian Matura. (Applying for a university in the US way doesn't exist, in these three countries anyone can study anything as long as one has got Matura or Abitur (well, for certain studies there are already restrictions, i.e. medicine))

thanks,
Peter

p.s.:
I'm also thinking about applying to MIT, but I guess my chances of being admitted are actually next to nothing. Should I try nonetheless?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about the first two, but

# University of Munich (LM Munich)
# Technical Univeristy of Munich (TU Munich)
# Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich(ETH)

are all excellent universities. Actully LMU and TU in Munich are the best in physics in Germany.

After getting a degree in physics you will be a person able to think and solve real life problems and I think there'll be no problem to do a master in economics or management afterwards. With a physics degree you can also work as a researcher in a company and get a second education at the same time, so you'll surely earn enough money.

I understand the struggle of choosing a university for your studies. It's important to consider various factors such as the reputation of the university, the program curriculum, and the location. Based on your interests, I would recommend looking into the Technical University of Munich (TU Munich) and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH). Both universities have strong programs in physics and also offer options for a master's degree in management or economics, which aligns with your career goals.

In terms of salaries for physicists in Europe, it can vary depending on the industry and job position. However, a physics degree can open up opportunities in various fields such as finance, technology, and consulting, which can offer competitive salaries. It's also important to consider the job market in the specific country you plan to work in.

As for your concern about studying in a different country, I would suggest weighing the pros and cons of each option. Consider factors such as cost of living, language barriers, and job opportunities after graduation. It's also worth reaching out to current or former students at these universities to get a better understanding of their experiences.

Regarding your application to MIT, I would say it's always worth trying. However, keep in mind that admission to top universities can be highly competitive and it's important to have a strong application. Consider reaching out to admissions counselors for guidance on your application.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully research and consider all your options before making a decision. Best of luck in your studies!

1. Why should I consider studying in a German speaking country?

Studying in a German speaking country can offer a high quality education, as many universities in these countries are ranked among the top in the world. Additionally, these countries have a strong economy and offer a variety of job opportunities for international students after graduation. German is also the most widely spoken language in Europe, providing a valuable skill for future career prospects.

2. Which German speaking country is best for studying?

All three German speaking countries (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) have excellent universities and a strong education system. It ultimately depends on personal preferences, such as location, program offerings, and cost of living. It is recommended to research and compare universities in each country to determine which one best fits your needs.

3. What are the language requirements for studying in a German speaking country?

The language requirements vary depending on the university and program. Some universities may require a certain level of German proficiency, while others offer programs taught entirely in English. It is important to research the language requirements for your desired program and plan accordingly.

4. How much does it cost to study in a German speaking country?

The cost of studying in a German speaking country can vary depending on the university and city. Public universities in Germany and Austria offer low or no tuition fees, while private universities and universities in Switzerland may have higher tuition fees. In addition to tuition, students should also consider the cost of living, which can vary depending on the city and lifestyle choices.

5. Are there any scholarships available for international students in German speaking countries?

Yes, there are various scholarships available for international students studying in German speaking countries. These can be offered by the government, universities, or private organizations. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early, as the competition can be high. Additionally, some universities may offer financial aid or grants to international students based on their academic performance.