Where's the Change? 3 Men Share a Hotel Room

• Thread starter RunDMC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, three men share a hotel room for $30 per night and each leave $10 at reception. Later, they are informed of a $25 special and give a $2 tip to the bell hop. They each keep $1, leading to the question of where the extra dollar went. However, this confusion is caused by counting the tip twice, leading to a total of $27 paid for the room and $2 in tip, making up the original $29. There is no extra dollar, just a misinterpretation of the situation.
RunDMC
Three men go to a hotel and decide to share a room. The room costs $30 per night, so they each leave $10 at reception and head upstairs.

Later the concierge recalls that tonight is the twenty-five-dollar special. He gives the bell hop exactly five one-dollar coins(/notes, depends on your currency!).

The bell hop arrives at the room and explains the special. The men realize there is no easy way to share the 5 coins between them, so they keep one dollar each and give the bell hop a $2 tip.

Later, one of the men exclaims: "Wait, we got $1 back each, right? Well, that means we paid $9 each for the room, right? (Our original $10 each minus the dollar we got back.) Now, three nines is 27, plus the $2 tip gives $29. Where'd the other dollar go?"

Where, indeed, did the extra dollar go?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh this is so old :P

Pengwuino said:
Oh this is so old :P
I concur.

Its fairly obvious that the 2nd man ate the money

Government tax.

try thinking of it this way: 3 guys go to rent a room. it costs 25 a night. to make it even they each pay 9 dollars and say keep the change. 3*9=27total=25rent+2tip. they didn't pay 27+2.

Must be a sign of the times, these 3 guys used to just go out for a meal, now they're sharing a room for the night!

It's easy! the question is set up to mislead you... it's really like this... 30$ is payed... 5$ is given back (now we're at 25$ payed) ... 3 dollars are kept (now we're at 28!) 2 dollar tip! wala... 30$... each man does not actually pay the even 9 dollars each :P... but where indeed... does that extra penny go? It's only 25 dollars for the room! Why would they each pay 9 dollars? :P 8.33X3 is 24.99, kept 3, 27.99, 2 tip... 29.99... where is the extra penny? haha i suck at my futile attempts to keep this going.

Last edited:
I am just a normal housewife...no big education...but I would use the debit/credit theory...
debit...$27 disbursed collectively from the 3 men

credit...$25 for the room and $2 tip...

No extra dollar floating around:rolleyes:

It's on wolfram's bed :rofl:

It's such an evil problem. They count the tip twice, it was already included in the 27$ and for some reason they add it again.

Alkatran said:
It's such an evil problem. They count the tip twice, it was already included in the 27$ and for some reason they add it again.

Werd.
It's an easy problem :)

However, I should try to get some people with that type of logic...hmm

I was a bit perplexed a first, I was wondering why he added the two dollars to 27 when he should have been subtracting it to get the cost of the room. Funny, misleading the person like so; I wonder how many of my friends will fall for it?

So how do I explain this to everybody so I sound smart?

1. What is the premise of the movie "Where's the Change? 3 Men Share a Hotel Room"?

The movie follows three men who are forced to share a hotel room due to a mix-up in their reservations. As they navigate their differences and challenges, they discover the power of friendship and the potential for change in unexpected places.

2. Is this movie based on a true story?

No, "Where's the Change? 3 Men Share a Hotel Room" is a fictional story. However, it does explore relatable themes and experiences that many people may encounter in their own lives.

3. Who are the three men in the movie?

The three men are named Michael, David, and Chris. Michael is a successful businessman, David is a struggling musician, and Chris is a laid-back surfer. They all come from different backgrounds and have different perspectives on life.

4. What is the main message of the movie?

The main message of the movie is that change can come from unexpected places and that true friendship can transcend differences. It also highlights the importance of being open-minded and willing to learn from others.

5. Are there any scientific concepts or themes explored in the movie?

While the movie is primarily a comedy-drama, it does touch on themes of human psychology and the impact of relationships on personal growth. It also showcases the power of empathy and understanding in fostering positive change.