Which are the best American universities for astronomy?

In summary, the speaker is a French student interested in pursuing a graduate program in astronomy in the United States. They are not interested in engineering or extremely theoretical astronomy, but rather observational astronomy. They are specifically interested in planetary astronomy, exoplanetology, exobiology, SETI, and stellar astronomy in the solar neighborhood. They are looking for recommendations for the best American universities/colleges for their interests. The recommended university is the Lunar and Planetary Lab at the University of Arizona, which is ranked #6 in the world for space science and aligned with the speaker's interests. Other potential options include Caltech, Ohio State University, UT Austin, and HYP (Harvard, Yale, Princeton).
Omega Force
Hello.

I'm a French student and I'm planning to go to the United States for a graduate program in astronomy.

When I will arrive in the U.S. I will begin by the first year of graduate. Then I will pursue with a Ph.D. and some postdoctoral research.

I would like to know which are the best American universities/colleges for what I want to do.

Concerning what division of astronomy I am interested in:
I'm not interested in the conception of telescopes, instruments and other systems. I'm not interested in engineering. And I'm not interested in extremely theoretical astronomy either.
I'm interested in observational astronomy.

Regarding what subfields of astronomy I am interested in:
I'm not interested in extragalactic astronomy or cosmology.
I'm interested in planetary astronomy, exoplanetology, exobiology, SETI, stellar astronomy in the solar neighborhood.
I'm not interested in things that are less than 2 Astronomical Units or more than 70 light years away from us.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can recommend the Lunar and Planetary Lab at the University of Arizona. U of A as a university is ranked #6 in the world for space science (US News World university ranking), and LPL should be right up your alley for what you've described. Other than that, I can offer only second-hand advice: Caltech, Ohio State, UT Austin, HYP.

1. What are the top American universities for astronomy?

According to the 2021 US News & World Report ranking, the top universities for astronomy in the US are:
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
2. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
3. University of California, Berkeley
4. Harvard University
5. Princeton University

2. How are these rankings determined?

The US News & World Report ranking takes into account factors such as research activity, faculty resources, student selectivity, and reputation among academic peers. They also consider data from surveys of faculty and administrators in the field of astronomy.

3. Are there any other top universities for astronomy in the US?

While the US News & World Report ranking is a widely recognized source, there are also other reputable rankings such as the QS World University Rankings and the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU). These rankings may include universities such as University of Chicago, University of California, Santa Cruz, and University of Wisconsin-Madison in their top 10 list for astronomy.

4. Do these universities have specific areas of expertise in astronomy?

Yes, each university may have its own strengths and focus within the field of astronomy. For example, MIT is known for its research in exoplanets and cosmology, while Caltech has a strong emphasis on observational astronomy and instrumentation.

5. Can I apply to these universities for a graduate program in astronomy?

Yes, all of these universities have graduate programs in astronomy and welcome applications from qualified students. It is important to research the specific requirements and application process for each university before applying.