Which are the best musics of all times?

• Music
  • Thread starter Theatre Of Fate
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses individual preferences for music, with some expressing a dislike for classical music and a preference for 60's rock and soul music. Others mention specific classical pieces and artists that they enjoy, such as Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. The conversation also includes a mention of other genres of music, such as techno and disco, and a lighthearted exchange about ABBA and the Village People. One individual shares their affinity for certain songs and their emotional attachments to them, while another provides a list of classical pieces and artists they enjoy.
Theatre Of Fate
Salutations!

My present list is the following:

01 - Händel - Allegro Concerto Grosso in G Major Op. 6/1

02 - Händel - Fire Work Music Overture

03 - Bach - Allegro Assai, From The Concert For Violin Number 2, in E Major KWV 1042

04 - Bach - Presto Brandenburg Concert Number 4 in G Major

05 - Mozart - Symphony Number 40, First Movement

06 - Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (Spring)

07 - Beethoven - Pour Elise

08 - Beethoven - Sonata Claire de Lune, First Movement

09 - Beethoven - Symphony Number 5, First Movement

10 - Mozart - Concert For Flute Number 2, Second Movement

11 - Grieg - Peer-Gynt Suit Number 1 Op. 46

12 - Bach - Concert Of Brandenburg Number 3, First Movement

13 - Mozart - Serenade Number 13, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

14 - Bach - Italian Concert - Allegro Vivace

15 - Schubert - Allegro Scherzando Impromptu Opus 142,2

16 - Bizet - L'Arlesienne Suit Number 2 - Farandole

17 - Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

18 - Beethoven - Sonata in C Minor (Pathetic), Adagio Cantabile

19 - Mozart - Requiem Kyriê Elleison

20 - Brahms - Hungarian Dance Number 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I hope no one thinks me crude for saying so, but classical music does nothing for me. In my opinion the ultimate era fur music is 60's. On the rock side, you've got the British Invasion: Beatles, Stones, Cream, Traffic, Hendrix (his rhythm section was all Brit!), Zombies, (and later) Zeppelin, et al. And on the soul side you've got Motown, Stax, Atlantic, James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, et al.

You can keep Beethoven. I'll take Marvin's vocals backed up by Jamerson's bass any day of the week.

Tom Mattson said:
I hope no one thinks me crude for saying so, but classical music does nothing for me.
Don't worry, I think you're crude for other reasons. :tongue2:
I like classical and Motown. Never listened to 60's rock.
11 - Grieg - Peer-Gynt Suit Number 1 Op. 46
... which is now stuck in my head all day...

i like techno music and classical music :D

Theatre Of Fate,
Do you have a favorite recording of Peer Gynt? I can't find mine so am buying another soon (this morning from iTunes). Too late, I found Karajan.

Last edited:
Aqua-"Barbie Girl"

arildno said:
Aqua-"Barbie Girl"
That made me laugh.

FredGarvin said:
That made me laugh.
Glad to be of assistance.

honestrosewater said:
Too late, I found Karajan.
As a rule of thumb, I find that Karajan recordings from the Berlin Philharmonic are of great quality...especially Beethoven's 3rd and 9th.

Rhapsody on a theme of paganini by Rach here.

Badinerie by bach.

To quote someone I'm fond of :

"If music be the food of love, play on"...

I don't really care for the part that follows, so I'll skip it. Anyway, my staple food is the same as Tom's - classic rock (actually, most anything) from the 60's and 70's (except disco :yuck:)

Hey, Gokul!
Don't bash ABBA..:grumpy:

Oh, not at all. :rolleyes:

Here, you can have my ABBA CDs . . . happy ?

Oh thanks!
If you also have some Village People CD's, I'll take them as well..

Sorry, I microwaved those...they died with a final flash of ...disco lights !

The music that came out of that page nearly gave me a heart attack!

Are you an assasin? ardilno?

Damn you arildno...I had left my speaker volume on HIGH. :eek:

I am probably one of the weirder ones here. I think classical is nice, but I have no classical cds. The Music I do actually listen to includes: 2pac, Bone Thugs N Harmony, and The Beatles.

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: Ahhhhhhhh! The Village people!

I can enjoy most forms of music, but after moving to Oregon, nearly everyday at work, for a better part of five years, I was forced to listen to country music. :yuck:
I sure hope someone fed that poor dog Jake.

There are a few songs that have gotten under my skin for life: Garden Party by Rick Nelson, Space Oddity by Bowie, Funeral for a Friend by EJ, Heart of Gold by Neil Young, and that stupid song from Billy Jack still gets me - One Tin Soldier by Coven. But I think that these songs have emotional attachments that take them beyond the level of just being good or favorite songs.

As for classical, one of my favorites has always been The Planets, by Holtz; go figure!

07 - Beethoven - Pour Elise (or Für Elise, as the case may be)

There are many others not on that list, e.g.

On the CD "Classic Dreams: Music to Inspire"

Disc 1
1. Antiphon: Ecce Annuntio Vobis
2. Mahler: Symphony No.5 - Adagietto
3. Satie: Gymnopedie No.1 (Arr. Debussy)
4. Fauré: Pavane
5. Holst: The Planets - Venus
6. Picker: Old And Lost Rivers
7. Debussy: Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Faun
8. Honegger: Summer Pastorale
9. Fauré: Masques Et Bergamasques - Pastorale
10. Pärt: Summa
11. Mussorgsky: Pictures At An Exhibition - The Old Castle
12. Grieg: The Wounded Heart
13. Elgar: Serenade For Strings In E Minor - Larghetto

Disc 2
1. Stravinsky: Apollon Musagete - The Birth Of Apollo
2. Barber: Adagio For Strings
3. Sibelius: The Swan Of Tuonela
4. Elgar: Enigma Variations - Nimrod
5. Debussy: Petite Suite - En Bateau (Orch. Busser)
6. Grieg: Holberg Suite - Air
7. Vaughan Williams: Fantasia On 'Greensleeves'
8. Satie: Gymnopedie No.3 (Arr. Debussy)
9. Ravel: Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte
10. Grieg: The Last Spring
11. Massenet: Meditation (From Thais)
12. Rachmaninov: Vocalise - my favories on this CD
13. Ravel: Mother Goose - The Fairy Garden
14. Antiphon: Ecce Annuntio Vobis

Then consider

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

Ralph Vaughn Williams - The Lark Ascending

Franz Joseph Haydn - Symphonies 93-104

Maurice Ravel - Piano Concerto in G major; Piano Concerto in D major (for the left hand); Valses nobles et sentimentales for piano (or orchestra); Sonatine for piano

Camille Saint-Saëns - Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major, Op. 17; Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 22; Piano Concerto No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 29; Piano Concerto No. 4 in C minor, Op. 44; Piano Concerto No. 5 ("Egyptian"), in F major, Op. 103; Wedding Cake, caprice-valse for piano & strings in A flat major, Op. 76; Africa, fantaisie for piano & orchestra in G minor, Op. 89

Claude Debussy - Suite bergamasque, for piano, L. 75; Children's Corner, suite for piano (or orchestra), L. 113; Images for piano, Set I, L. 110; Images for piano, Set II, L. 111; Arabesques for piano, L. 66; Préludes for piano, Book I, L. 117; Pour le piano, suite for piano, L. 95; Estampes, for piano, L. 100; L'isle joyeuse, for piano, L. 106; Rêverie, for piano, L. 68

Sergei Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 1 in F sharp minor, Op. 1; Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18; Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor, Op. 30; Piano Concerto No. 4 in G minor, Op. 40; Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Introduction and 24 Variations), in A minor for piano & orchestra, Op. 43

Gabriel Fauré - Ouverture; Pastorale; Tres Romances sans Patorles; Romance, Op. 28; Pavanes

Antonin Dvorak - Symphony No.8 In G Major, Op.88; Symphony No. 7 In D Minor, Op. 70; Symphony No. 9 In E Minor, Op. 95 'From The New World'

Felix Mendelssohn - The Hebrides (Fingal's Cave)- Overture; Symphony No. 3 In A Minor 'Scottish'; Symphony No. 4 in A major ("Italian"), Op. 90

Joaquin Rodrigo (Guitar) - Concerto de Aranjuez

Johannes Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 1; Academic Festival Overture, Op. 80,

Robert Schumann - Symphony No. 1 in B flat major ("Spring"), Op. 38; Symphony No. 2 in C major, Op. 61; Symphony No. 3 in E flat major ("Rhenish"), Op. 97 ; Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120; Kinderszenen, Op. 15 - traumerei; Piano quintet In E Flat Major, Op.44; Fantasiestuke, Op. 73
Franz Schubert - Symphony No. 5 In B Flat Major; Rosamunde; Impromptu In E Flat Major; Impromptu In G Flat Major; Piano Quintet In A Major

Jean Sibelius - Symphony No. 1, for orchestra in E minor Op. 39; Symphony No. 2, for orchestra in D major, Op. 43; Symphony No. 4, for orchestra in A minor, Op. 63; Symphony No. 5, for orchestra in E-flat major, Op. 82

and many more

Great Conductors
Neville Mariner (Academy of St. Martin in the Fields)
Herbert von Karajan (Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra)
George Solti

============================================
Violin Concertos

Beethoven: Concerto for violin in D

Conductor: Carlo Maria Giulini
Performer: Itzhak Perlman
Ensemble: Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus

Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor; Bruch: Violin Concerto #1; Itzhak Perlman

Conductor: Bernard Haitink
Performer: Itzhak Perlman
Ensemble: Concertgebouw Orchestra

Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto Op35; Brahms: Violin Concerto in D Op77

Conductor: Anatole Fistoulari, William Steinberg
Performer: Nathan Milstein
Ensemble: Philharmonia Orchestra of London, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra

Symphonie Fantastique

Conductor: Riccardo Muti
Ensemble: Philadelphia Orchestra

No endorsement on the links - they are just for info.
============================================
Tom Mattson said:
I hope no one thinks me crude for saying so, but classical music does nothing for me. In my opinion the ultimate era fur music is 60's. On the rock side, you've got the British Invasion: Beatles, Stones, Cream, Traffic, Hendrix (his rhythm section was all Brit!), Zombies, (and later) Zeppelin, et al. And on the soul side you've got Motown, Stax, Atlantic, James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, et al.
As for Tom Mattson's selection - Right On! I dig Rock & Roll, to quote someone.

In the British invasion - Yardbirds, The Spencer Davis Group, Arthur Brown, King Crimson, Yes, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd, The Who, Blind Faith (successor to Traffic/Cream), Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and so on . . . .

Marvin Gaye is great, either solo (Trouble Man, I Heard It Through the Grapevine), or in a duet with Tammy Terrell.

For indigenous US groups, let's not forget Jefferson Airplane, Spirit, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes, Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young), Santana, Blue Öyster Cult, Van Halen, Journey (first album) and a host of others. Ever heard of the Blues Magoos. For contemporary rock, I have been listening to a lot of Joe Satriani lately. :approve:

But then I like Jazz (Pat Metheny, Miles Davis, Stanley Clarke, George Benson), Blues (B. B. King), Zydeco, Mongolian, Tibetan, Japanese, Chinese, Gregorian Chant, . . . - in fact, I haven't found a genre yet (even country, but that's the most difficult for me :biggrin: ) in which I didn't find something enjoyable or at least interesting.

There are many excellent artists on the Windham Hill and Narada labels - it's New Age, which are pretty mellow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could go on for hours in this thread, but I'm just going to say one thing. It probably won't mean anything to 95% of you, but it was so utterly, incredibly awesome that I'm going to share it anyway.

I went to see Ben Folds last night...

Just calling out some more definite favorites:

Melody in F, Anton Rubinstein
Ouverture Wilhelm Tell Giacomo Rossini (misidentified as Bambi)
Sympony nr 6 Pastorale Ludwig von You know who
Serenade for strings, Tchaikovsky
Dance Macabre, Camille Saint-Saens

Last edited:
Theatre Of Fate said:
Salutations!
02 - Händel - Fire Work Music Overture

04 - Bach - Presto Brandenburg Concert Number 4 in G Major

two good choices there. depending on the recording the fireworks music can be better than star wars! brandenburg concerto #5 is good too, esp the harpsichord solo.

i would add the following:
parliament funkadelic -- tear the roof off
pink floyd -- dark side of the moon
bach solo violin stuff (the mt everest of violin playing!) esp partita #2 in Dm & partita #3 in E
bach solo cello stuff (the mt everest of cello playing!)
bach goldberg variations
augustin barrios-mangore
antonio lauro
beethoven sonatas for cello/piano
joe pass virtuoso, & live @ akron U
van halen 1984
biber violin sonatas esp #4

Last edited:
I'll add my two favorite albums:

Prince - 1999
Prince - Purple Rain

BTW, why did people hate disco with such a passion (the whole record burning phenomenon)? Can anyone shed light on this? I've never seen such hatred expressed for any other musical style... not even country!

learningphysics said:
BTW, why did people hate disco with such a passion (the whole record burning phenomenon)? Can anyone shed light on this? I've never seen such hatred expressed for any other musical style... not even country!
I think it was more a culture clash - Preps vs Rock & Rollers. I had friends who viscerally hated Disco and those who listened to it. I thought was way overboard.

I just didn't particuarly care for Disco, nor did I particularly care for Country or Country & Western, but I would never put someone down for liking something I didn't.

Andre said:
Dance Macabre, Camille Saint-Saens
This brings back memories of third grade art. My teacher played the music and told us to draw what we saw. It was great to be allowed to "see" music. :approve:

I like classical music. Relaxing background music that you don't remember much. But I do not listen to music much. I suppose if I listened to classical a lot it would start to stick in my head also... I don't like songs with words because after hearing them many times they start playing in my head, which is distracting.

interesting how the science communities always like classical music. i guess 50cent or meticalla just won't inspire like classical lmao

Nobody likes a Tchaikovsky march or waltz? And the 1812 doesn't get a mention? Especially from people who like Karajan? I think Karajan and Tchaikovsky are perfect for each other.

When I want something explosive, I look to Tchaikovsky or Beethoven. Who else is good here?

For pure joy- Händel or Pachelbel's Canon in D. Others?

I usually want something quieter, pensive. My favorites here are (The piano and cello are also my favorite intruments.)
Chopin's Nocturnes or Etude in E Major Op. 10, No. 3, "Chanson de l'Adieu"- has anyone else heard this?
Bach's Cello Suites
Beethoven's 'Pathetique': II Adagio cantabile

Do any Motown people listen to the Temptations?

honestrosewater said:
When I want something explosive, I look to Tchaikovsky or Beethoven. Who else is good here?
biber's missa salisburgensis or bach's b minor mass. the missa salisburgensis was written to be played in the salzberg cathedral which has awful acoustics, everything echoes. biber couldn't write anything too complicated or else it would just mush together, so it's more or less just random blasting with trumpets & trombones for 1hr.

For pure joy- Händel or Pachelbel's Canon in D. Others?
again, biber's missa salisburgensis & bach's b minor mass. or maybe bach's goldberg variations. i talked to a lady who listened to a lot of jazz & she liked the goldberg variations because they sounded just like little improvs, the playing/writing was so expressive.

I usually want something quieter, pensive. My favorites here are (The piano and cello are also my favorite intruments.)
Bach's Cello Suites
the cello suites is probbaly my favourite music. I've got ~23 recordings + a couple on order & they're all great in their own way. I've also got ~15 recordings of the solo violin stuff.

no, i like syreeta

Last edited:
Well, here's my top ten:

1) 'Unsterblich' - Die Toten Hosen
2) 'Zombie' - The Cranberries (first single I ever bought)
3) 'MFG' - Die Fantastischen Vier
4) 'The Orginal Song of Bacardi Rum' from the Bacardi Feeling album
5) 'Razorblade Kiss' - HIM
6) 'Lemontree' - Fool's Garden
7) 'Don't Speak' - No Doubt
8) 'The Scientist (acoustic version)' - Coldplay
9) 'Reimemonster' and 'The Return of Reimemonster'- Afrob featuring Ferris MC (yeah, 2 songs, I know, but they sort of belong together)
10) 'Counting Crows' - Mr Jones

Lol, yeah, I know, not a single piece of classical music in my list, oh well... :-p

Blimey - lots of Classical music here.

For me, the all time best track ever made is Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK

Put that on full blast on the stereo and leap around wildly..

Great stuff.

Other favourites:
Teenage kicks - The Undertones
Voodoo Chile - Hendrix
Wild Thing - The Trogs (I sing that whilst racing my motorcycle...)
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane (Ah those old hallucinogenic daze...

honestrosewater said:
And Gladys Knight and the Pips
Curtiss Mayfield (and the Impressions) - remember "Superfly"
Isaac Hayes - "Shaft"
The O'Jays
Aretha Franklin
Stevie Wonder
Smokey Robinson
The Four Tops

to name a few :biggrin:

1. What criteria should be used to determine the best musics of all times?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as musical taste is subjective. Some may consider technical skill, innovation, popularity, or personal emotional connection as important factors. Ultimately, the best musics of all times are those that have stood the test of time and continue to resonate with audiences.

2. Are there any specific genres or artists that consistently rank as the best musics of all times?

Again, this is subjective and can vary greatly depending on personal taste. However, certain genres such as classical, jazz, and rock have produced many timeless and influential pieces. Likewise, artists like The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Mozart are often cited as some of the best in music history.

3. Can modern music be considered as some of the best musics of all times?

Absolutely. While many may argue that older music holds more value, there have been countless groundbreaking and influential pieces created in recent decades. Additionally, music is constantly evolving and what may be considered the best today may not be the same in the future.

4. How do cultural and societal factors play a role in determining the best musics of all times?

Cultural and societal influences can definitely impact which musics are considered the best of all times. For example, certain genres or artists may hold more significance in a specific culture or time period. Additionally, societal values and trends can shape what is seen as innovative or popular in the music world.

5. Is it possible to objectively determine the best musics of all times?

No, as mentioned earlier, musical taste is subjective and what one person may consider the best may differ from another's opinion. While there may be some general consensus on certain pieces or artists, there is no definitive way to objectively determine the best musics of all times.

Back