1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Which book is better for physics: Young or Tipler?

1. Jun 30, 2015 #1
    I'm looking for a university physics book that is comprised of excellent pedagogical exposition and is very comprehensive.

I've considered these two candidates:

1. Tipler
    2. Young/Freedman

What do you suggest?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jul 5, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

People do discuss introductory textbooks often here. This is probably just a slow period. Try using PF's search feature, and tick the box that restricts searches to this forum (Science and Math Textbooks). If you search for "Freedman", you'll find previous posts that mention that book, and many of them will mention other books as well, including Tipler.

5. Jul 6, 2015 #4
    Hmm. We used giancoli physics for scientists and engineers. The book was clear. Although their is not much difference between standard physics books. I found Giancoli to be alot better than serway, in explaining concepts. In particular the chapter explaining harmonic motion, serway did not show how differentials in arriving towards the formulas.

In our class suspends used a combination of books. My buddy used young and freedom and it is better than giancoli. The exercises in Freedman are a bit more challenging.

Others used tipler. I read 3 chapters from tipler, although I understood it, the others books mentioned did a better job.

I would stick with young and freedman.

6. Jul 10, 2015 #5

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I used Tipler in my introductory physics sequence and I had no real complaints with it.

7. Jul 11, 2015 #6
    I used Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Randall Knight. I've heard great things about Young and Freedman. Based on most amazon reviews, Tipler is middle of the road. I used Knight to study for engineering physics exemption exams (self-study) and I passed both Mechanics and E&M (somehow). Y&F has some very tough problems which will definitely benefit you later down the road.

8. Jul 19, 2015 #7
    Is Knight a good book?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted