• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Which book is well suitable for the study of tensor analysis and group theory

• Thread starter Sillyboy
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Please introduce me a good book for my self_study of tensor analysis and group theory.
I am a sophermore preparing to self-study them!

Answers and Replies

What's the 'aim' of your self-study? Mathematics or physics? Or some other form of applied math?

If it's aimed at applying it to physics, then I can recommend Groups, Representations and Physics by Jones,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Groups-Representations-Physics-H-F-Jones/dp/0750305045

as a nice intro in to group theory. As for tensor analysis I suggest this thread here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=350943
thank you for your reply so much!
En,uh. I just want to do theoritical physics in the future. I knew mathematics is very, very important to comprehend the theory of physics, and actually I did encounter some difficulties while self-studying the principles of mechanics. So, I thought I should learn more about mathematics such as algebra and differentiable manifolds.
I wish you, friends can recommend me some such books with their concrete book names!

En, I have studied mathematical analysis and algebra.
I am studying some other mathematics such as mathamatical phyics and probability, ordinary diffrential equation!
If you are seasoned enough, give me some detailed suggestions!

"Groups and their Graphs" by Israel Grossman and Wilhelm Magnus

I used this book in my junior year of high school. It's a really good introduction to the subject.