Which book to read to get an idea of how modern gadgets work?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book Idea Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Avichal
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
I always wanted to know how a car works, how T.V. works etc.
However I was not one of those kids who opened all the gadgets in their free time and looked at how they work (I wish I did that).

Now I'm in college. I took Computer Science and Electric and electronics is not my department. I want to get a basic idea of how modern gadgets work. I don't have time to study all the electronics and go through an in-depth analysis of how machines work.

Is there a book which briefly tells you about how complicated machines are made. I just want to get a basic idea (the gist) of how these gadgets work. I don't want to go into the detail (because I don't have time) of their implementation.

Let me tell you about my current knowledge so it's easier to recommend a book
I know about the physics obviously (Electromagnetism, semiconductors etc.)
I know about gates (AND, OR, XOR) and how these can be used to build more complicated devices.
I have idea about how a processor is made.

Basically I know how digital devices like computers work. But then I look at other electric devices at my home like oven, television etc. and have little idea how they work.

Recommend me a book to help me. Do remember I am not an electrical engineer
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any way you can take an introductory course in analog electronics? I had one in my 4th year as a physics student, how is it not required for a CS major?

Malvino's "Electronic Principles" practically covers everything in that subject and has practically no prerequisites, but isn't exactly a light read... (you'll know what I mean if you hold it in your hands). I'd go with something like that, also these video lectures are okay:

http://www.screencast.com/users/hoppep/folders/Electronic%20Devices%201%20Lectures

Not in order though, so be sure to jump around until you find your starting point (just go read the intro chapters on diodes, trannies and op-amps from Malvino).
 
I already had an analog electronics course.
The topics taught were:
1) Amplifiers
3) Filters
2) Multivibrators

I think I have some more electronics courses coming up though. But I am have some free time now and hope to learn a few things.
I had a look on the book you mentioned - "Malvino's Electronic Principles". It covers pretty much what I learned in the course I had.

But what I actually want to know is how these things - filters, amplifiers, oscillators actually combine to make a gadget.
For eg:- You learn about AND gate, OR gate, NOR gate but how do you use them to build a processor is a completely different thing.
Same in my case. I know about all the basic circuits but then how do you build something out of it? That's what I want to know. Any books for that (something light please)