Which Calculus/Real Analysis textbook is recommended for a deeper understanding?

In summary, Apostol, Spivak, and Courant are the three best books for Calculus/Intro to Real Analysis.
qntty
I have already gone through the standard AP Calculus BC curriculum with Stewart and was not fond of the book. I'm looking for an Calculus/Intro to Real Analysis book so I can get a better understanding of the subject. Apostol,Spivak and Courant stand out as the best books for this. Can anyone who has experience with one or more of these books give a recommendation. If you know of any other books that would be appropriate I'm still open to other choices.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know a lot about Spivak or Apostol, but I definitely don't recommend Courant.

Courant is basically the standard Calc BC from Steward, with less pictures, less applications, *slightly* more abstract and more dense. In terms of insights for a math major, Courant is probably too "easy" to give you a drastically different experience fromt he normal Calc BC, but too dense to be a nice review book.

I would go with a book like "Analysis" by Klichin, a book that probably resembles more to Spivak or Apostol. Be warned, this book is dense and very tough, but introduces a formalism and approach very valuable for math majors.

im using spivak and apostol right now as supplements to real analysis.

spivak is the best calculus book bar none. maybe apostol is a superior refrence, but spivak teaches you everything about calculus. he not only proves why results are true, but tells you how the the proofs are designed. my only gripe with spivak is his problems are extremely difficult. at the same time, his difficult problems ensure you walk away with a crystal clear view of how the theory of calculus works. but know what extreme difficulty means: it is very very frustrating, and it will take hours to do the problems.

its not really an intro to analysis text, its pure calculus. but some people call any kind of calculus with rigor real analysis. aside from some continuity theorems and stuff on series, and random problems, the text sticks pretty firmly to calculus as a whole. that means no topology is employed, and it is quite classical.

Related to Which Calculus/Real Analysis textbook is recommended for a deeper understanding?

1. What makes a good calculus textbook?

A good calculus textbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of exercises to help reinforce understanding. It should also have a logical flow of topics and be well-organized.

2. How do I know if a calculus textbook is suitable for my level?

You should look for a textbook that matches your current level of understanding and challenges you to learn new concepts. It should have a clear indication of the level of difficulty, such as beginner, intermediate, or advanced, and provide a preface or introduction that outlines the intended audience.

3. Are there any specific features I should look for in a calculus textbook?

A good calculus textbook should have a table of contents, index, glossary, and appendices that provide additional resources and practice problems. It should also have a variety of learning aids, such as diagrams, graphs, and real-world applications, to help visualize and apply concepts.

4. Is it necessary to have a physical textbook, or can I use online resources?

While online resources can be helpful, a physical textbook is recommended for learning calculus. It allows for easier navigation, highlighting, and note-taking, and can be accessed without needing internet connection. However, using a combination of both can be beneficial.

5. What are some popular calculus textbooks used in universities?

Some popular calculus textbooks used in universities include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Howard Anton, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex.