Which Coil Shape is Better for Eddy Current Measurements?

In summary, the conversation is about deciding on the shape of a coil for a mini-project. The person is struggling to find adequate information on the size, losses, frequency range, inductance, and skin depth of both coils. They are unsure if they should rely on reading or use finite element analysis to determine which coil would be better. The application of the coil is for measuring coating thickness using eddy currents. The speaker provides some insights on the differences between a pancake and solenoid coil and suggests modeling both to determine which would be more suitable for the application.
JJ91
Hi,

I'm currently in a dead spot of my mini-project where I've to decide upon the coil shape. I can't find adequate definition of both coils by the means of:
- size
- losses
- frequency range
- inductance
- skin depth

which makes it impossible to argue which one would be better.

I'm wondering whatever there is good reading or this aspect should be defined by finite element analysis (using trial version of MagNet)?

In more detail a coil will be used in instrument which uses eddy currents to measure coating thickness.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't specify, so I'll assume that you are measuring material in the shape of a slab, and that the coil will be held over the material like holding a metal detector over the ground. A pancake coil generates a field that is far more spread out and nonuniform, assuming that the spiral starts at the center and is wound uniformly outwards. The solenoid's coil is more concentrated directly underneath the coil. on the other hand, a flat coil can be made to have a more uniform field if you customize the windings , leaving a current-free central disk. Go ahead and model them, then decide which is more desirable for your application.

Last edited:

Related to Which Coil Shape is Better for Eddy Current Measurements?

1. What is the difference between a pancake and a cylindrical coil?

A pancake coil is a type of flat coil that is arranged in a circular or spiral shape, while a cylindrical coil is a type of coil that is arranged in a tube-like shape.

2. Which type of coil is more commonly used in scientific research?

It depends on the specific application and research being conducted. Both pancake and cylindrical coils have their advantages and disadvantages, so researchers may choose one over the other based on their experimental needs.

3. What are the main factors to consider when choosing between a pancake and a cylindrical coil?

The main factors include the desired magnetic field strength, spatial resolution, and coil geometry. Pancake coils tend to have a stronger magnetic field but lower spatial resolution, while cylindrical coils have weaker magnetic fields but higher spatial resolution.

4. Can pancake and cylindrical coils be used interchangeably?

In some cases, yes, but it is not always recommended. The differences in magnetic field strength and spatial resolution can affect the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. It is best to use the type of coil that is specifically designed for the intended application.

5. How are pancake and cylindrical coils typically constructed?

Pancake coils are usually made by winding a flat wire around a central axis, while cylindrical coils are made by winding a wire around a cylindrical core. The number of turns and the type of wire used can also vary depending on the desired specifications and requirements.