Which freezes faster Hot or cold water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which freezes faster - hot or cold water - without conducting a lab experiment. The person suggests that cold water would freeze faster based on laws and theories, but is open to correction. They also mention receiving a warning for not posting in the appropriate category and provide a link to the Mpemba effect.
ShelbyMcD

Homework Statement

I need to find out which freezes faster--hot or cold water--without doing a lab. Just by thinking and considering laws and theories and properties we have learned about.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like it would be cold water since the hot water would have to catch up... But correct me if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't think I could put it in homework because it doesn't involve equations, but I got a warning so I did the best I could to repost and do it as the rules say.

Thank you!

I cannot provide a definitive answer without conducting a controlled experiment. However, based on our knowledge of thermodynamics and the properties of water, it is likely that cold water would freeze faster than hot water. This is because cold water already has a lower temperature and is closer to its freezing point, whereas hot water would need to lose more heat in order to reach the freezing point. Additionally, hot water tends to contain more dissolved gases, which can hinder the freezing process. However, other factors such as the container, surface area, and external environment can also affect the freezing rate. It is important to conduct an experiment to accurately determine which water freezes faster.

1. Does hot or cold water freeze faster?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the environment it is placed in, and the type of container it is in. However, in most cases, cold water freezes faster than hot water.

2. Why does cold water freeze faster than hot water?

It is a phenomenon known as the Mpemba effect, named after a Tanzanian student who first observed it. This effect is caused by a combination of factors such as the difference in density between hot and cold water, convection currents, and evaporation.

3. Can hot water freeze faster than cold water under certain conditions?

Yes, there are certain conditions where hot water can freeze faster than cold water. For example, if the hot water is placed in a container with a large surface area and exposed to a cold environment, it can lose heat faster and freeze quicker than cold water.

4. Is the Mpemba effect scientifically proven?

While there have been numerous experiments and studies on the Mpemba effect, there is still no universally accepted scientific explanation for it. Some scientists believe it is a real phenomenon, while others argue that it is simply a result of experimental errors.

5. Does the type of water affect the freezing process?

Yes, the type of water can affect the freezing process. For example, distilled water, which is pure and has no impurities, can freeze faster than tap water due to the lack of particles that act as nucleation sites for ice crystals to form. Additionally, saltwater freezes at a lower temperature than freshwater, so it may take longer to freeze.