Which GPE formula is right and when do I use this other

This formula represents the law of conservation of energy, where the change in kinetic energy (deltaK) plus the change in potential energy (deltaPE) is equal to zero. This is applicable in situations where there is no external work or non-conservative forces acting on the system.
zachdr1
In my formula sheet I have written down that

deltaPEg = (PEg final - PEg initial)

but then I have written down that

-(deltaPEg) = (PEg final - PEg initial)

which one is right?

Oh and another question, when do I use the formula

deltaK + deltaPE = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the sign convention you like for the energy difference.

zachdr1 said:

deltaK + deltaPE = 0?
When it is applicable and helps.

Physics is not about memorizing formulas, it is about understanding how to get the formulas needed to solve the problem.

While I agree with mfb, I do think that the convention for the ##\Delta## symbol is pretty standard. I would always use ##\Delta f = f_{final}-f_{initial}## for any and all ##f##.

zachdr1 said:

deltaK + deltaPE = 0?

When the total mechanical energy of a system is constant (conserved).

1. Which GPE formula should I use?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy (GPE) depends on the specific situation and the variables you have available. The most commonly used formula is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. However, if you have other variables such as the distance between two objects, you may need to use a different formula.

2. When do I use the GPE = mgh formula?

This formula is typically used when dealing with objects near the surface of the Earth, where the acceleration due to gravity is constant. It is also used when calculating the change in potential energy of an object when it is raised or lowered to a different height.

3. When do I use the GPE = -GmM/r formula?

This formula is used to calculate the gravitational potential energy between two objects, such as a planet and a satellite. It takes into account the masses of both objects and the distance between them.

4. Can I use the GPE = mgh formula for objects in orbit?

No, the GPE = mgh formula cannot be used for objects in orbit because the height of the object is constantly changing. In this case, the GPE = -GmM/r formula must be used to calculate the gravitational potential energy.

5. How do I know which formula to use?

You can determine which formula to use by identifying the variables you have available and the specific situation you are dealing with. If you are calculating the potential energy of an object at a certain height, you can use the GPE = mgh formula. If you are calculating the potential energy between two objects, you will need to use the GPE = -GmM/r formula.