Which is more enjoyable: Studying or Research Work?

• Thread starter andytoh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the enjoyment and comparison of studying and research. The suggestion is made to consider studying as a form of research and professor's experiences are shared. The conversation concludes with the consensus that research is ultimately more enjoyable, even though studying can also be rewarding. Money and employment should not be factors in this decision.

Which is more enjoyable?

• Studying from textbooks, doing exercises, and learning new topics

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Doing original research and trying to solve unsolved problems

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters
andytoh
Students, perhaps the best way to get an answer is to compare your studies to any intense research project that you may have done (or simply imagine that you are doing original research).
Professors, you can directly compare you research work right now to back when you were studying.

Please don't let money and employment issues influence your decision. Just think about which of the two you find more fun.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me like you'd have to do the first one before you could do the second one

That's true. I'm merely asking which of the two you think would be more enjoyable. And please don't think about employment issues. Please focus on the activity itself.

Last edited:
I've never done actual research but I believe I would find it more enjoyable.

Research, research, research... :biggrin:

Both should be almost equally enjoyable, since, in order to "study from a textbook, do exercises, and learn new topics" in a propper manner, you have to have at least a bit of a researcher's spirit. And if you have it, then you're already doing research in a way.

Well ultimately I'm going to go with research, but it's a close call. I really enjoy studying textbook material as well. As someone who doesn't yet even have any graduate education in physics, there's a lot of subject matter that I don't know anything about. Nonetheless, it is ultimately a bit more rewarding to build an apparatus, collect data, and see that theories derived on paper can actually be confirmed empirically.

1. Which is more enjoyable, science or art?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as enjoyment is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may find the problem-solving and discovery aspect of science more enjoyable, while others may find the creativity and expression in art to be more enjoyable. Ultimately, it depends on an individual's personal interests and preferences.

2. Is it more enjoyable to work independently or collaborate with others in science?

Again, this answer may vary from person to person. Some scientists may prefer to work independently, as they can focus on their own ideas and experiments. Others may find collaboration to be more enjoyable, as it allows for a diverse range of perspectives and can lead to more innovative solutions.

3. Do you find conducting experiments or analyzing data more enjoyable?

This may depend on the individual scientist's strengths and interests. Some may enjoy the hands-on aspect of conducting experiments, while others may find the process of analyzing and interpreting data to be more enjoyable. Both are important components of the scientific process and can lead to new discoveries.

4. Which is more enjoyable, researching or teaching?

Again, this answer may differ based on personal preferences. Some scientists may find the process of conducting research to be the most enjoyable aspect of their job, as it allows for the pursuit of new knowledge. Others may find teaching to be more enjoyable, as it allows them to share their passion for science and inspire others.

5. Is it more enjoyable to work in a lab or in the field?

This may depend on the specific field of science and the individual's research focus. Some may find the controlled environment of a lab to be more enjoyable, as they can conduct experiments and collect data in a controlled setting. Others may prefer working in the field, as it allows for a more hands-on and dynamic experience.