Which math classes should I take as a [physical] chemistry major?

In summary, In order to minor in mathematics at UCLA, the student should take 134/135/136 (Linear/Nonlinear, Ordinary, Partial Differential Equations), 120AB (Differential Geometry), 142 (Mathematical Modelling), and either 151B or 170B (Applied Numerical Methods).
djh101
I am majoring in chemistry at UCLA with physical chemistry concentration (transferring as a junior next semester), intent on pursuing research in the field in the future. I would like to minor in mathematics (if a double major is not possible), but I'm having a hard time deciding what classes I should take (the minor requires seven, which is all I can really fit if I am to graduate in two years). So of the classes below, which might be most beneficial (full list here)?

[STRIKE]Math 115A (Linear Algebra) - Taking[/STRIKE]
-Math 131AB (Analysis) - Required for all math majors, so I'd imagine this is fairly useful
-Math 110AB (Algebra)- I've been told group theory is important in physics. There is also a third course on Galois theory.
-Math 134/135/136 (Linear/Nonlinear, Ordinary, Partial DE)
-Math 120AB (Differential Geometry)
-Math 142 (Mathematical Modelling)
-Math 170AB (Probability Theory)

Along with Linear Algebra A, I'm currently considering 131AB, 110AB, and either two DE courses or one DE course and 120A. Would this be a good sequence or might there possibly be a better one? And if I am to take one or two DE courses, which one or two should I take Between linear/nonlinear, ordinary, and partial)?

Physics news on Phys.org
djh101 said:
[STRIKE]Math 115A (Linear Algebra) - Taking[/STRIKE]
-Math 131AB (Analysis) - Required for all math majors, so I'd imagine this is fairly useful
-Math 110AB (Algebra)- I've been told group theory is important in physics. There is also a third course on Galois theory.
-Math 134/135/136 (Linear/Nonlinear, Ordinary, Partial DE)
-Math 120AB (Differential Geometry)
-Math 142 (Mathematical Modelling)
-Math 170AB (Probability Theory)

Along with Linear Algebra A, I'm currently considering 131AB, 110AB, and either two DE courses or one DE course and 120A. Would this be a good sequence or might there possibly be a better one? And if I am to take one or two DE courses, which one or two should I take Between linear/nonlinear, ordinary, and partial)?
Algebra is not particularly useful in chemistry. 'Group theory' is used extensively in chemistry but it's not very similar to what is seen in a pure course on Algebra. Practically speaking, a course on inorganic chemistry or spectroscopy is enough. If there is a graduate course on group theory in inorganic chemistry, take it. There is something else called lie groups, and it does show up in the literature for chemical physicists, but again, that's not going to be covered in an UG algebra course (but I may be wrong!).

Analysis is not very useful either, directly. It'll push you and make you better at math and thinking but in terms of the actual content, it's not that useful to chemistry (or most physicists either).

Differential geometry is much more scarce in chemistry. Some computational people use it for protein folding, etc, etc but it's not really worth taking if you are talking for practicality.

Otherwise, PDEs, ODEs, probability, etc, etc you can't go wrong. Mathematical methods and numerical analysis courses are particularly useful and I highly regret not taking those myself. There are groups that use analysis, algebra, diff. geo, graph theory but you shouldn't take courses because of that.

Last edited:
Well I'm looking for a mix of interesting and applicable. For example, I doubt I'll ever study general relativity in any career I may pursue (I may be wrong), but it is a very interesting topic that I would like to gain a further understanding of.

Anyway, if I take all three DE classes, I'm left with room for three more math classes. By your recommendations I would go with 151 (Applied Numerical Methods) and 170 (Probability Theory), although both are two part sequences so I would have to leave out either 151B or 170B or skip a DE course (or leave them both out and take analysis for the fun of it :)). So I guess it comes down to what would I find more useful: implicit methods, iterative methods, and discrete Fourier approximation; or limit theorems and Bernoulli and Poisson processes?

1. What are the basic math classes required for a physical chemistry major?

The basic math classes required for a physical chemistry major typically include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills necessary for understanding and conducting research in physical chemistry.

2. Are there any advanced math classes that are recommended for a physical chemistry major?

In addition to the basic math classes, it is recommended that physical chemistry majors also take courses in multivariable calculus, complex analysis, and probability and statistics. These advanced math classes can help students develop further skills in mathematical modeling and analysis, which are essential for advanced topics in physical chemistry.

3. Can I substitute a math class required for a physical chemistry major with a different class?

It is not recommended to substitute any of the required math classes for a physical chemistry major. These courses are specifically chosen to provide the necessary mathematical background for understanding and conducting research in physical chemistry. However, if you have a strong background in a particular math subject, you may be able to place out of that course.

4. How important is it to have a strong math background for a physical chemistry major?

A strong math background is essential for success in a physical chemistry major. Physical chemistry is a highly mathematical field, and the ability to understand and apply mathematical concepts is crucial for conducting research and solving problems in this field. It is important to take math classes seriously and seek help if needed to ensure a strong foundation.

5. Are there any math classes that are not necessary for a physical chemistry major?

While there may be some overlap with certain math classes, all the required math classes for a physical chemistry major are necessary for a comprehensive understanding of the subject. It is not recommended to skip any of these courses, as they all contribute to a well-rounded education in physical chemistry. However, if you have a limited amount of time or resources, it is recommended to prioritize the basic math classes over the advanced ones.