Which Medical Physics Grad Program?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between three accredited medical physics programs: Duke MS, UPenn MS, and Vanderbilt DMP. It is mentioned that the choice between these programs depends on personal preferences and goals. It is also noted that UPenn may not have a PhD program and that Duke has published their statistics for the class of 2016. The Vanderbilt DMP program offers an accredited imaging residency, but it is unclear if they provide payment for the residency component. The conversation ends with a discussion on the medical physics residency match statistics for 2016.
Mgphys
Which medical physics program is better between Duke MS, UPenn MS, or Vanderbilt DMP? I would have to pay for penn and Duke but tuition would be taken care of at Vanderbilt.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When it comes to comparing accredited medical physics programs I'm not sure there's any absolute better or worse. Instead a lot depends on your personal preferences and what you hope to get out of the program. To the best of my knowledge, those are all good programs. So I think you have a choice between three good options.

I'm not sure that Penn has a PhD program, so if you're thinking of going for a PhD, you would have to change schools after the MSc. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing). The stats for their MSc program graduates are http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/graduate/mmp/masters/statistics.

Duke has already published it's stats for it's class of 2016. It looks like they've also added an accredited imaging residency too, which is great if you're interested in that side of things..

Vanderbilt DMP program stats are here. I'm not sure that the DMP program pays the people that are enrolled in the residency component of their program, although you should look more deeply into the details here though as I don't know this for a fact. The median salary for residents across the US is about $50k. So you could be giving up a substantial amount of money. The advantage of that program though is that you don't have to stress about a residency. The medical physics residency match statics for 2016 are https://www.natmatch.com/medphys/aboutstats.html. Roughly it looks like those who participated had a 1/2 probability of getting a position. That's better odds than last year, but still not great.

1. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the diagnosis and treatment of human diseases. It involves the use of various forms of radiation, including x-rays, gamma rays, and ultrasound, to provide images of the body and to deliver targeted treatments to cancerous tumors.

2. Why should I pursue a graduate program in Medical Physics?

A graduate program in Medical Physics provides the necessary education and training to become a certified medical physicist, a highly specialized and in-demand healthcare professional. This field offers a unique combination of physics, medicine, and technology, and graduates have the opportunity to make a significant impact on patient care and treatment.

3. What are the prerequisites for a Medical Physics graduate program?

Most programs require a strong background in physics, including courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Some programs may also require specific biology or chemistry courses. Additionally, a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field is typically required.

4. How long does it take to complete a Medical Physics graduate program?

The length of a Medical Physics graduate program can vary, but most programs take 2-3 years to complete. This includes both coursework and clinical training. Some programs also offer part-time options for students who are working or have other commitments.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a Medical Physics grad program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a Medical Physics graduate program include accreditation, faculty expertise and research opportunities, available clinical training sites, career placement rates, and location. It is also important to consider the specific focus areas of the program, such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, or nuclear medicine, and how they align with your career goals.