Which option for courses if I am interested in going to physics grad?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's dilemma on how to use their last year and a half of undergraduate education. They are interested in both physics and applied math and computer science, but they are unsure if taking one or two graduate courses would put them at a disadvantage when applying to graduate school. They also mention wanting to gain breadth in their education while still in undergrad and the potential benefits of a CS degree for job opportunities after graduate school. They ask for advice from others since their current advisor, who is an engineer, is not knowledgeable about graduate physics.
mc0210
This has been a long standing issue of what I should do with my last year and a half of undergraduate education. I really would like to get into a top physics program (obviously), but I am also really interested in applied math and computer science. I would say I am equally interested in applied math and computer science. My question is, would I be at a disadvantage when applying to graduate school if I had one or two graduate courses at most versus a masters (8 grad courses). On the one hand, I want to set myself up well in undergrad, on the other hand, I want to get breadth in my education while I still can. Also, I think a CS degree would be helpful when applying for jobs after graduate school (seeing as a job in physics is moderately unlikely).
I hope you guys can give me any advice on the matter! My current adviser is an engineer (due to the benefits of being in the engineering school, such as scholarships) and he is clueless on graduate physics.
THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
bump :)

1. What undergraduate courses should I take if I want to pursue a physics graduate degree?

The specific courses you should take will depend on the requirements of the graduate program you are interested in, but generally you should focus on taking core courses in physics, mathematics, and possibly computer science. It is also beneficial to take courses in related fields such as chemistry or engineering.

2. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree to get into a physics graduate program?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree in order to get into a physics graduate program. However, having a strong background in physics and mathematics is important in order to succeed in the program.

3. Are there any recommended electives I should take to prepare for a physics graduate program?

It is recommended to take electives that align with your interests within physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or particle physics. Additionally, courses in computer science, statistics, and data analysis can also be beneficial.

4. How important are research experiences in undergraduate courses for getting into a physics graduate program?

Research experience is highly valued by graduate programs in physics, as it demonstrates your ability to conduct independent research and your passion for the subject. It is recommended to seek out research opportunities, whether through university programs or internships.

5. Are there any other factors besides coursework that are important for getting into a physics graduate program?

In addition to coursework and research experience, other factors that may be considered by graduate programs include letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and personal statements. It is important to have a well-rounded application that showcases your academic abilities, research experience, and passion for physics.