Which Prime Divisors of 4n^2+4n-1 Are Congruent Modulo 8 to \pm 1?

• Thread starter TTob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove that for every prime divisor p of 4n^2+4n-1, p is congruent to \pm 1 modulo 8. The conversation also mentions that this can be proven by showing that 4n^2+4n-1 is only divisible by p if 2 is a quadratic residue modulo p, which is true only if p is congruent to \pm 1 modulo 8.
TTob
I need to prove that p congruent modulo 8 to [tex]\pm 1[/tex] for every prime divisor p of [tex]4n^2+4n-1[/tex].
[tex]4n^2+4n-1[/tex] is odd so we have
[tex]p \equiv \pm 1,3,5 \pmod{8}[/tex]

I don't know how to continue from here... I need some hint.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TTob said:
I need to prove that p congruent to [tex]\pm 1[/tex] for every prime divisor p of [tex]4n^2+4n-1[/tex].

Congruent modulo what? [itex]7|(4.5^2+4.5-1)[/itex], but [itex]7\neq\pm 1(5)[/itex], so presumably the answer is not [itex]n[/itex].

I need to prove that p congruent modulo 8 to [tex]\pm 1[/tex].

[itex]4n^2+4n-1=(2n+1)^2-2=0(p)[/itex] only if [itex]2[/itex] is a quadratic residue mod [itex]p[/itex] which is true only if [itex]p=\pm 1(8)[/itex]. (This is proved in any number theory text in the section on quadratic reciprocity.)

Martin Rattigan said:
[itex]4n^2+4n-1=(2n+1)^2-2=0(p)[/itex] only if [itex]2[/itex] is a quadratic residue mod [itex]p[/itex] which is true only if [itex]p=\pm 1(8)[/itex]. (This is proved in any number theory text in the section on quadratic reciprocity.)

Thank you !

[tex]p \equiv \pm 1,3,5 \pmod{8}[/tex]

Boy! that was a confusing bunch of stuff. Lot of times, the trouble with a problem is the writer did not correctly organize what he wants to solve. But I see, TTob got it all correct!

Related to Which Prime Divisors of 4n^2+4n-1 Are Congruent Modulo 8 to \pm 1?

1. What are prime divisors?

Prime divisors are numbers that can divide a given number evenly without leaving a remainder. They are also called prime factors because they are prime numbers.

2. What is the formula for finding prime divisors of 4n^2+4n-1?

The formula for finding prime divisors of 4n^2+4n-1 is (2n+1)(2n-1). This is the expanded form of the given expression.

3. How can I determine the prime divisors of 4n^2+4n-1?

To determine the prime divisors of 4n^2+4n-1, you can factorize the expression using the formula (2n+1)(2n-1). Then, you can identify the prime numbers in the resulting factors.

4. Are there any common prime divisors in 4n^2+4n-1 and 4n+3?

Yes, there are common prime divisors in 4n^2+4n-1 and 4n+3. Both expressions have the prime factor 2 in common.

5. Can the prime divisors of 4n^2+4n-1 be used for any other calculations?

Yes, the prime divisors of 4n^2+4n-1 can be used for various calculations, such as finding the greatest common divisor or simplifying fractions. They are also useful in finding the prime factorization of other numbers.